Sign in to follow this  

Mikuni 36 BSR for KLX 300?

So a pumper carb is the way to go for full performance enhancement . Not keen on the price or modifications needed for the install. Anyone consider a 36mm Mikuni CVK? The carb off a later DRZ 400 looks identical to the KLX carb just bigger bore. I recall XR 400's were trying different size Mikuni's and the larger carbs were making more power across the board. Thoughts on the 36mm for the KLX?

Edited by keenxxx

With proper jetting it would act like a larger stock carb.  May have to capture a few coils on the slide diaphram spring to tailor the response to -100cc.  Would need to match or adapt bell mouth and spigot diameters. 

Freewheelers posted a lot of good info replacing the DRZ;s BSR 36 with a Keihin CVK40,   CVK40 MJ tends to mirror the JD and DJ kits.  2mm larger is noticeable, 4 to 6mm is very noticeable.  A CV carb is normally less prone to off idle bog, but it will lack the snap of a pumper carb.  So that log hop may take a little planning.

Infact a larger bore carb will reduce throttle response. 

A carburetor meters the fuel based the volume of air flow and on the pressure difference between the air outside the engine and vacuum. At low RPM and wide open throttle there is less difference and not much air flow. The larger the carburetor the harder it is for the carburetor to measure the small air flow and the these pressure differences. So if you want the carburetor to work well at low RPM (good low RPM throttle response) you select a small carburetor.

A larger carb will generally give you more on top.  It flows more air so you can add more fuel.

You can get decent response out of a CVK.  But I recently switched to ta FCR and really is freaking great.  Whack the throttle and it goes.  I also did a bunch of work to my motor at the same time so I can't say what the FCR did on its own but the bike is s different animal now.

Edited by hadfield4wd