Sign in to follow this  

CRF450R 2002 Total Rebuild

I have been reading through a few threads of guys doing up older CRF's so I thought I would share what I am rebuilding at the moment.

It was an unfinished project when I bought it. The motor had been completely rebuilt and the frame and swingarm powder coated black.

I have replaced the swingarm and linkage bearings (not a fun job getting the old ones out!), front and rear wheel bearings and brake pads/fluid. I am now reassembling and doing my best figuring out where everything goes. I have a CRF450X so I can look at that for reference but there are a few things that are different.

I will keep this thread updated as I go and most probably be asking a few questions along the way! I have a different look planned than stock so stay tuned to see what you all think.ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1401267723.501368.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1401267738.627874.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1401267763.838302.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1401267791.133930.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1401267813.162929.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1401267837.716611.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1401267873.450802.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1401267900.272506.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1401267931.427074.jpg

• Like 4

So the first question.....I have read that the air boxes leak on the 02. Is the leak around the boot and the box and what is wrong with sealing it up with good quality silicon?

Does the filter seal against the box alright or is that another problem? I also noticed it had a backfire screen bolted in. Is it recommended not to remove this as I have done on other bikes to help them breathe a bit better?

The 02 boot is only one-sided where it mates to the box. It just mates flat against the outside of the box with a flimsy plate. The newer boots have a 2-sided groove/lip that seals around the outside AND the inside of the box.If you seal it really well it will not leak but you need to be sure it stays sealed.

Most folks install the 04 airbox and 08 boot as it seals much better and is a better air intake. Thats what I have on my 02

• Like 1

I'd keep the backfire screen in if I was you. I noticed where my filter had a burnt spot on the inside of it and there's no hp gains from removing it, it's just another step you have to take blowing the screen out with compressed air when you change the filter.

I have a new problem happening, I have replaced the rear wheel bearings and dust seals, greased everything and refitted.

I have also done the brake pads and fitted a new chain. When I spin the wheel it is stiff. I backed off the brake pads and that didn't make any difference, the chain is not tight.

The spacers were a tight fit in the dust seals, so maybe they just need to wear in a bit?

The new bearings spin freely with the wheel off so I don't think there is anything wrong there.

Any suggestions?

Not sure if this will help but when I put new Excel/Talon wheels on my 02 I had the same issue. Bearings and spacers were obviously new and the chain was new and aligned/tightened to spec.

It turned out to be the long collar inside the hub that resides between the inner wheel bearings (Part #9 in pic http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Honda/Motorcycle/2002/CRF450R+A/REAR+WHEEL/parts.html ). It was about 0.25mm to long and so when I torqued the alxe nut down it would compress the bearings on both sides against that inner collar and prevent them from spinning, effectively turning the baerings and collar into a mere bushing. I simply took my time and ground the collar to the perfect size and that resolved the issue

02collar.jpg

Edited by mrmoto35

Never was really a fan of colored swingarms, but the frame looks great. I dig the texture. Someday I'd like to paint my frame white and the bottom end of the motor black. 

I like your frame and swingarm. I may be getting an 05 soon so I'm going to stay tuned in

• Like 1

I think the frame and swingarm look good being the same colour. It is powder coated and the finish is a gloss roughish texture. Seems very durable as it didn't chip or scratch as the motor was going back in.

I am going all white race tech plastics with this graphics kit. http://www.moto-stylemx.com/eshop/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/CRf_450R___02__0_527c8c1e3bd80.jpg

• Like 2

That'll look great

Anyone know what this is bolted to the side of the head? I can't see anything in the manual about it and am a bit curious? ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1402403949.137831.jpg

Fitted up new radiators and hoses, primed and sprayed clutch cover and header guard with high temp engine enamel.

Disassembled, checked over and polished White Brothers exhaust that came with the bike but was very neglected. Came up looking really good after a few hours polishing.

Did you have any issues from powder coating? Did you have to remove the powder coat for the motor to fit, for the swingarm bolt to fit, anything like that?

Did you have any issues from powder coating? Did you have to remove the powder coat for the motor to fit, for the swingarm bolt to fit, anything like that?

No issues at all, all bolt threads into the frame had a spare bolt screwed into them when done so no overspray clogged up threads.

I highly recommend powder coating over just painting. It is very durable and hard to scratch/chip.

The only place on the frame I filed down to bare aluminum was the ground/earth wire as I wasn't getting spark until I did.

Nice. Did the bolts try to flake when you removed them? Did you run the bolt all the way in, or leave a gap under the head?

Nice. Did the bolts try to flake when you removed them? Did you run the bolt all the way in, or leave a gap under the head?

No they were only just screwed in by hand and left protruding to stop the threads from clogging up.

The steering stem and swingarm bolt opening were masked up to stop any overspray entering inside.

The pictures don't really do justice to how good it looks. I may in time also do the head cover with the engine enamel.