Sign in to follow this  

Feels like my fan runs to much on my 500 EXC or is this normal?

So this is my 5th or so bike and I have never notice a fan run so much on a bike before. Is it normal for the fan to run so much with KTM's?

Should I switch to engine ice or a different coolant?

Is this normal for a KTM?

Thanks guys.

So this is my 5th or so bike and I have never notice a fan run so much on a bike before. Is it normal for the fan to run so much with KTM's?

Should I switch to engine ice or a different coolant?

Is this normal for a KTM?

Thanks guys.

What kind of riding are you doing? Slow tight single track or are you up and moving in open areas? It makes a difference.

Switch to engine ice it helps a lot also.

What kind of riding are you doing? Slow tight single track or are you up and moving in open areas? It makes a difference.

Switch to engine ice it helps a lot also.

On the trails is when it runs mostly, I kinda figured it was from the slower riding but wanted to confirm.

When I'm up and moving or riding around town its fine.

I will change over to engine ice and see how she runs then.

Thanks again.

Edited by AKTM

yes, it's normal for many KTMs. my fan runs about constantly in the summer on single track...and in city traffic.

KTM doesn't exactly overbuild the cooling system. they try to keep everything light as possible (which is good, imho).

as long as you aren't boiling over, the system is probably working as it should.

I switched to the BMW lower temp sensor and mine is on all the time in tight trails, the newer bikes have enough electrical output to handle it - as others stated if the bike is not boiling over do not worry about it.

I too am experiencing this on my 2014 500exc but think it's okay. On my 12 500 exc, the fan didn't come on near as much, but I think I remember reading that for 2014 KTM put a new temp sensor that kicks the fan on earlier now, say 160 degrees instead of 180, perhaps. I also run the RLR/Sicass overflow bottle to ensure no loss of coolant. The bottle doesn't fit so well in the newer plastic designs from 12 and up on the excs, so I made a cool bracket for it and mounted it under the fuel injector body and above the chain guide in that big open area. Cheers 

I found it disturbing too.  Mine runs much more than I would have thought necessary, but seems to be normal for the 500.

Mine runs on EVERY ride. Has done since my 06 525 exc, 08 530 exc and 12 500 exc they all do it and its normal. Just need the DC stator on the 08 to handle the power draw.

Pete

My 06 525 ran all the time too. I didn't think anything of it till one day the battery drained dead on a particularly nasty singletrack day of riding. Of course I was so exhausted I could barely kick it. Several others tried kicking the beast too and couldn't. Had to find a long hill for a bump start. This reason and this reason alone is why to this day I refused to go to a rekluse. Supposedly new ones you can bump start I guess

My 06 525 ran all the time too. I didn't think anything of it till one day the battery drained dead on a particularly nasty singletrack day of riding. Of course I was so exhausted I could barely kick it. Several others tried kicking the beast too and couldn't. Had to find a long hill for a bump start. This reason and this reason alone is why to this day I refused to go to a rekluse. Supposedly new ones you can bump start I guess

The older OEM fan kits prior to around 2009 came with 85 C fan thermo-sensors which turned the fan on way too early so that the fan ran literally all the time after the engine was barely warmed up which of course led to dead batteries.

The older OEM fan kits prior to around 2009 came with 85 C fan thermo-sensors which turned the fan on way too early so that the fan ran literally all the time after the engine was barely warmed up which of course led to dead batteries.

The newer 500's must have more electrical output, mine has run for 30+ minutes while I putt around behind my kid on his 50 (10mph and slower) and no battery problems.  I've got the 2014.

My 2014 runs after a bunch of low speed lugging. Never boils over. It is thermostatic controlled, and the pump moves more fluid at higher rpms, so low revs and low airflow make the temp go up and on goes the fan to assist. Nothing to worry about unless you are losing coolant. I had a Honda CRF450R and it boiled out the coolant until I put in a Boysen water pump impeller and housing. 5 minutes and $175 later, never had another problem. I did the overflow tank and engine ice on that bike and it still blew out.

If you're in technical stuff and the fan is not on you've got a problem...if you're doing road work at speed and your fan won't turn off you got a problem... everything else is normal. Unless you're racing competitively with a highly wrenched motor, the OEM coolant should be just fine. It was 106 here today and I rode 4hrs no issues with two year old OEM fluid. If its good enough for the engineers its good enough for me. Although I probably should drain and refill it for preventative maint.