Sign in to follow this  

Old school Gurus

What model and year is this bike?  Best I can tell, its a 1982 YZ490.  If I'm correct, what's it worth?

490-2.jpg

490.jpg

It does look like an '82 YZ490.  As to the value?  Well, that is very subjective.  The '82 490 was largely considered an abomination.  It vibrates, the rear suspension was not that good, the engine was impossible to jet without some internal mods (the head mod fixes a lot of this).  The forks were near the top of their class for that year and the front brakes (when properly adjusted) are extremely strong.

Assuming that the bike is mostly complete (and it appears to be so in the pics) and runs without internal engine problems, it may be worth up to $1200 for someone who wants to run it in vintage mx.  If you are looking for something to trail ride or take to the dunes, I would look for a later model YZ490, something after '85 as the suspension is considerably better, the brakes are superior, and the engine gets you a 5 speed gearbox.

I was considering picking it up for a quick flip.  

A quick flip would be a HUGE gamble.  Unless you could get it for $500 or so, I would pass.  You have every chance of losing your shirt on it if you pay much more than that as you may be sitting on it for a long time.

Thanks for the heads up.  It seems as if this bike has more negative than positive attributes.