Sign in to follow this  

Should Electric Bikes be allowed in Hare Scrambles?

I posted this question on FTR forum and it has created a real siht storm.  Here is the post I made:

In case nobody noticed, there was an electric bike in the Sunday morning class. I suppose as time goes by, there will be more of these. I was just wondering if the rules make any provision for this, or if anybody sees any competition or safety issues? I an NOT saying that I disapprove (although I did try to fail him at Tech for no spark arrestor). The guy riding it is a good friend and a great guy. He did have a bell - and perhaps it could have been louder. He and I did have a close call on a work day when I had no idea that he was right behind me (before he got the bell).

Not likely to be a factor in the outcome of most races, unless he can change batteries quickly. I suppose if there were a points battle involved, somebody might try to protest the electric as illegal.

So - should these be allowed? If so, in what classes (Saturday only? Ages classes? Open only?)

Open class. And eventually an E-class. Both already stated.

We, as enthusiasts, need to embrace electric driven bikes. They are the only thing that will get our riding areas back.

Additionally; Tech inspection should include no less than two well-maintained or new playing cards in the spokes.

Edited by usagi
  • Like 12

I say open only, but i don't race hare scrambles. And have spent like 45 seconds thinking about it

Wow, most never put that much thought into formulating a post. What are you doing among the hair trigger dolts here?

• Like 1

Let them in all classes until theres enough of them to make their own class, maybe.

I wonder what the powers like. I know the go karts haul.

Wow, most never put that much thought into formulating a post. What are you doing among the hair trigger dolts here?

I figured it would be an interesting thing to discuss, so why not contribute?

I posted this question on FTR forum and it has created a real siht storm. Here is the post I made:

In case nobody noticed, there was an electric bike in the Sunday morning class. I suppose as time goes by, there will be more of these. I was just wondering if the rules make any provision for this, or if anybody sees any competition or safety issues? I an NOT saying that I disapprove (although I did try to fail him at Tech for no spark arrestor). The guy riding it is a good friend and a great guy. He did have a bell - and perhaps it could have been louder. He and I did have a close call on a work day when I had no idea that he was right behind me (before he got the bell).

Not likely to be a factor in the outcome of most races, unless he can change batteries quickly. I suppose if there were a points battle involved, somebody might try to protest the electric as illegal.

So - should these be allowed? If so, in what classes (Saturday only? Ages classes? Open only?)

Just out of curiosity, which electric bike was it?

And they should definitely be allowed to race. Quiet bikes are good bikes!!! Especially in woods riding/racing.

Although I'm not familiar with your class system, open class is a good spot for now. If/when they get more popular they'll have to be integrated into an existing class or make a new one.

Edited by chris88

Any footage?

E bikes are the future regardless of how close minded people are about it.

To actually answer the question the power output should be measured, if its similar to current class let em run.

i'd say let them in all classes...or, at least, all classes that aren't defined by displacement limitations (just because i'm not sure how to correlate the electric motors to the displacement limits).

i find that i can't always hear guys coming up behind me anyway, so an electric bike wouldn't be any different in that regard. when guys do want you to know they're there, a loud yell seems to work. but, the bell idea sounds good, too.

personally, i look forward to the day electric bikes become more viable and popular. outside of races, it will allow for more places to ride as many places, around here at least, are off-limits just because of noise.

i also look forward to the day i don't have several lines of 2 strokes in front of me asphyxiating me at the start of races. dang smokers... :rant::devil::D

I have both a 2 and 4 stroke bike.  I HATE the start grids now, so many guys back on smokers (including me) that you choke to death on the start line.

Let the E bikes run any class for now, so few of them.  I tested one, it was awesome, a buddy bought it (made by zero) loved the silence, you can actually hear if your rear tire starts to lose traction!!!  2 guys on them can talk smack while racing, pretty fun actually!

Soon enough we may all be on E bikes....

• Like 1

Sure, if it means more people lining up then go for it... I really don't see a major advantage though, kinda like lining up with a trials bike...

• Like 4

Depends on whether it’s the driverless Google model.  Wouldn’t be fair if all the rider had to do was sit on the seat….  Otherwise, sure!!

• Like 2

Sure, if it means more people lining up then go for it... I really don't see a major advantage though, kinda like lining up with a trials bike...

Its certainly a disadvantage today with the current E-bikes.  They don't even make as much power as a 250F so I can't imagine they would be very competitive against them.  Of course the E-bike has much more usable power then the 250F since you get full torque out of an electric motor at 1 rpm.  Maybe it would be a closer race than I am thinking in my head but I still think the gas powered bikes would have the advantage.

To answer the OP I don't see any reason why people should not be allowed to run the E-bikes in any class given their current level of competitiveness when compared to a gas powered machine.  I can imagine in the future there could be an "E Bike" specific class but unless you have at least 10 people running E-bikes it would be a pretty boring class to watch.

I like them and they sound like rc cars which is cool but they don't last long and take longer to fill than your average bike. So for now long live the smokers

• Like 1

Now a ebike with a trials tire!

Now you're talking advantage!

Can the E bikes really complete a 75 to 120 mile race? Cause that's awesome if they can!!

Can the E bikes really complete a 75 to 120 mile race? Cause that's awesome if they can!!

Oh Yeh!

Absolutely, in the bed of a truck!

• Like 5