Sign in to follow this  

Qt50 vs Lc50 gear questions

Ok guys. My 6 year old son raced in his first moto over the weekend and really enjoyed it. He wound up 8th out of 13. Pretty good considering some of these kids had personal trainers there with them.

He is wanting to race some more so I decided to see what i could do to give him an edge. I read about the qt50 gear swap and since I have parted out a few pw50s i had a couple rearends laying around. I decided to see what gears they had in them. Well to my suprise i have a 3L5 in the bike already and another in a parts rear end. This is the the qt50 gears. The other rear end has a 3L6 which appears to be out of a lc50. Not a single stock pw gear in the bunch. Haha.

So after all that babbling does anybody know what the difference in gearing between a Qt50 and Lc50 is?

Thanks for any help.

20140525_105907.jpg

I think i answered my own question. This may be helpful for others. I pulled the gears and counted teeth. The 3L5 is the qt gear. It has 57 teeth on the ring gear and 10 on the pinion giving it a 5.7:1 ratio. The 3L6 which shows a lc gear appears to be a factory pw gear. It has 53 teeth on the ring gear and 11 on the pinion giving it a 4.8:1 ratio.

Feel free to chime in with other AMA legal pw50 mods.