CR250R Swingarm Damage

I've got a 2001 CR250R with a damaged swingarm. (Yeah, I'm going to have to watch that chain tension more closely.) The question is whether this can be repaired or if I'm going to have to wade through eBay for a replacement. If it can be repaired, does anybody know how much it might cost or any other issues? (BTW--I also posted this in the "Suspension" forum.) 

swingarm.jpg

You need to be looking for a used, un-damaged, swing arm. Ebay is your friend. Do not waste time & money trying to repair that when it will be cheaper, and SAFER to run a good used one.

+1 on the above.  Since yours is an '01 CR250, I believe that the CR125 swingarms will also fit as they are the same in '00 and '01.

I had to do the same on one of my bikes, some genius decided to run without a chain slider at all, then covered it up with a new chain slider.  I totally missed that when I was looking at the bike.  It went along nicely with the rotten air cleaner sucked into the crankcase and the bad main bearings.  It's all good now, I have no idea why I like rescueing bikes abused by morons..........

Bhau, don't feel bad I continuously find myself picking up what I think are "cheap" bikes that need a little TLC. It always turns out the same-minimum $1K in parts/repairs needed to bring them back to a point they can be ridden safely.  Luckily I do most of my own engine work, and about half of the time I get it right the first try. Ha ha ha

Yep, we are all guilty.. Some more than others. I've bought 4 bikes so far this year. All of them non-running. All of them have been repaired, and sold, except the most recent one which I am waiting on parts for.  It will be sold as soon as I get my parts in.

I have 4 bikes 01 and 02 cr250s 02 I bought in pieces and blown up engine I'm rebuilding engibe as we speak I go all the parts. 01 I bought with blown engine, I bought all the parts to fix but 2 days ago I found a just rebuilt 0 hour motor and offered him money and he took it so I'm waiting for that to get here an day now. I got an 05 yz250 that is perfect I just rebuilt the engine 4 months ago with all hot rods stuff and new cylinder. didn't even need it and I put on SSS forks and applied triples and other cool shit. And lastly I have a 01 kx250 I bought last year with a blown engine and I rebuilt with a weisco top and bottom and new cylinder. Now I just bought a used frame off eBay and sent it out to be powered coated black magic. I just got it back looks awesome. Gonna start switching all the parts and motor to the new frame. So much easier to do this is you have another frame. I don't know about you but I lose shit if I do it any other way. For some reason I can't let go of any of them. I put many hours and countless dollars in each lol like my other kids lol but I am thinking about buying a 450 just to try out. Lol

Yep, we are all guilty.. Some more than others. I've bought 4 bikes so far this year. All of them non-running. All of them have been repaired, and sold, except the most recent one which I am waiting on parts for.  It will be sold as soon as I get my parts in.

I just seems to be the story of my life, I have rescued an '01 CR250, a '99 CR250 that I am turning into a 500AF, an old '77 K20 to haul my bikes around in, and my '67 Camaro, all should have hit the junk pile but instead I see potential ? ....must be a state of mind or something.  The only decent bike I have ever bought was my '07 CRF450R.  My wife calls my shop a "sanctuary for abused and neglected vehicles".

• Like 1

I just seems to be the story of my life, I have rescued an '01 CR250, a '99 CR250 that I am turning into a 500AF, an old '77 K20 to haul my bikes around in, and my '67 Camaro, all should have hit the junk pile but instead I see potential ? ....must be a state of mind or something. The only decent bike I have ever bought was my '07 CRF450R. My wife calls my shop a "sanctuary for abused and neglected vehicles".

nothing wrong with that man lol it's people like us that keep all the bad ass old school things alive after other people gave up on them

Hey Karma Rider, I had the same problem on my 01 cr125. I work in the Areospace industries and I am lucky to have a good co worker and friend that welded it for me. We made a brass plug, the same size as the seal and berring inside bores so that the welds wont mess them up. Then he filled the gauges with aluminium and it did a perfect job. Put a new chain slider on it and its better then new.

I hear all of you! I just bought an 01,cr 250,over the winter, put a chain slider on it. And I found the swingarm was a little damaged, didn't see it when I bought it, sort of hidden but not bad. I'll hold off to fix that, to busy rebuilding/overhauling everything else, its nonstop and endless! I should have just dismanteled the entire bike when I bought it. Just did an entire fork rebuild this week...oh not to mention the seised rear hub I found when I went to load it up last winter, GREAT TIMES relacing spokes with new hub assy, torquing spokes, and all that..it goes on and on, I've saved thousands DIY, I like to read my service manual for entertainment. Is that normal?

nothing some weld and a die grinder couldn't fix. u can build it up with weld and clean it up in an hour of work. but if u dont have access to a spool gun or tig. it will cost u just as much to pay a welder as to buy a used swinger