Sign in to follow this  

How to check if a 2 stroke auto lube works?

Bought a 2 stroke which has a auto lube near the cylinder on the engine so you don't have to mix

the fuel yourself, the bike doesn't run and when i do get it running i need to know if the auto lube

works else the engine will blow due to lack of oil. 

Any help would be very much appreciated, thanks.  

Without knowing anything about the specific system, I'd say, get it started and running, shut it off before it has a chance to heat up much. Pull the pipe off and look inside the exhaust port and pipe for an oily residue.

For no more info than you provided about the bike and system, any suggestions you get are only going to be as good as the info you give.

Decades ago I had a Kawasaki with an autolube system.  Would remove the oil pump and check as follows; hook a hose to pump inlet, put the other end of the hose in a bottle of 2t oil, turn the pump shaft manually and see if any oil flows through the pump outlet.  The kawi pump was controlled by the throttle cable so the more the throttle was opened the more oil would flow through the oil pump.

Smokey exhaust??? Then it's working. Mix oil in the gas for your first tank, and if the oil level in your oil tank goes down, it's working. Pull the line from your cylinder, and start the bike. Oil really doesn't pump at idle, so give it a couple twists of the throttle. If oil comes out works. A couple of twists of the throttle without the oil line won't hurt it

• Like 1

I dont have experience with that system except on a outboard boat motor. Worked great until one day it didnt...ill leave the rest to your imagination. Havent trusted them since!

• Like 1

Junk that thing and put a block on it, mix your own gas . I have built too many seadoo engines just because of oil injector failures pure junk . 

• Like 3

You can disconnect  an outlet from the pump, mix some premix at maybe 50-1.  Run it on this gas and see oil comes out of the outlets.  THEN get a manual and make sure it's adjusted correctly.

...when i do get it running i need to know if the auto lube

works else the engine will blow due to lack of oil. 

Any help would be very much appreciated, thanks.  

Take that engine-destroying, good-for-nothing, don't-want-to-premix-my-gas-because-I-am-a-lazy-ass-homo, piece of worthless crap off and throw it far, far away. Make a little block off plate and seal it to the engine case with silicone sealer, block off the carb oil intake spigot, and mix your gas from here to evermore like a real man.

You're welcome.

• Like 5

All of our old Kawi skis we used to have we just took it off put the little aluminum block off on and just ran premix for peace of mind

• Like 1

Junk that thing and put a block on it, mix your own gas . I have built too many seadoo engines just because of oil injector failures pure junk .

Agreed. I had a seadoo XP that burnt up the front cylinder because the oil injection system was messed up. It's always safer to premix so you don't have to worry about the injection system failing.

• Like 1

Take that engine-destroying, good-for-nothing, don't-want-to-premix-my-gas-because-I-am-a-lazy-ass-homo, piece of worthless crap off and throw it far, far away. Make a little block off plate and seal it to the engine case with silicone sealer, block off the carb oil intake spigot, and mix your gas from here to evermore like a real man.

You're welcome.

Come on, don't hide your feelings...Tell us how you REALLY feel...

• Like 2

Agreed. I had a seadoo XP that burnt up the front cylinder because the oil injection system was messed up. It's always safer to premix so you don't have to worry about the injection system failing.

They have timing marks on them as the cable stretches they get richer and richer with fuel until they blow or just quit pumping as you're riding. It's the most important part and it's the one that never got maintained unless they brought it to the shop for me to find. The 90s xps you had to use an old motorcycle mirror just to see it, one reason it was never adjusted the other was you had to hug the engine while looking through the mirror using special made tools off the grinder and when you stood up you had a ROTAX imprint on your face  :lol:

• Like 3

I will be putting the auto lube back on my street bike.

But then again I'll be checking it regularly, nor is it considered the weak part on that particular bike.

For a dirtbike thats not being used for adventure or commuting I wouldnt bother with re installing it.

If it was already on, I wouldn't remove it. I'd just make sure to keep an eye on its wear/tear.

• Like 1

They have timing marks on them as the cable stretches they get richer and richer with fuel until they blow or just quit pumping as you're riding. It's the most important part and it's the one that never got maintained unless they brought it to the shop for me to find. The 90s xps you had to use an old motorcycle mirror just to see it, one reason it was never adjusted the other was you had to hug the engine while looking through the mirror using special made tools off the grinder and when you stood up you had a ROTAX imprint on your face  :lol:

I'm not sure if it was just the 951 motor or the seadoo in general, but that thing was the biggest pile of crap i have ever had. It has had constant little problems since i got the thing. First the trim module went out, then the speedometer stopped working, then i had problems with the fuel lines and had to replace all of that mess. The most frustrating thing was that it blew the MPEM 3 seperate times before i found a little piece of metal in the stator that was apparently shorting everything out. I'm sure you know how expensive those MPEM's are. Then after I lost the front cylinder, i just gave up on it and sold it like it was for $1200. Took a nice $2400 loss on that one. I did get to know that motor pretty well though  :lame:

• Like 1

I'm not sure if it was just the 951 motor or the seadoo in general, but that thing was the biggest pile of crap i have ever had. It has had constant little problems since i got the thing. First the trim module went out, then the speedometer stopped working, then i had problems with the fuel lines and had to replace all of that mess. The most frustrating thing was that it blew the MPEM 3 seperate times before i found a little piece of metal in the stator that was apparently shorting everything out. I'm sure you know how expensive those MPEM's are. Then after I lost the front cylinder, i just gave up on it and sold it like it was for $1200. Took a nice $2400 loss on that one. I did get to know that motor pretty well though  :lame:

The 951s were crap the 800 was the old reliable engine and outrun the kawasaki 1100s at that time  :smirk: We had a couple local guys that raced they would come in and buy a new XP and we would wheel it right to the shop from the showroom floor , start tearing it down , removing all the foam and modding them up  :thumbsup: We put MX bars on them and anything else to shave a lb. 

Snowmobiles have been using oil injection for years without problems.

With everything hooked up, make sure there's flow through the line/pump by loosening the bleeder screw on the oil pump and verifying oil dribbles out.

Premix a bit for your first ride, then stop after a while and make sure it's using oil out of the bottle that feeds the pump.

DSC_9552_-L.jpg

• Like 1

You're welcome.

Funny thing is i have other 2 strokes without auto lubes so you might want to rethink your comment and stop being a prick. 

I also like to to replace the lines with clear tubing.

• Like 1