Sign in to follow this  

How hot do these things get?

I recently installed a TrailTech Vapor computer on my '10 450RR and one of the features it has is the ability to have two different lights come on depending on the temperature of the bike. Presumably one is supposed to be setup as a cautionary "things are starting to get hot" light and the other is a danger "things ARE hot, shut it down now!" light.  I'm curious as to what you guys would set the temperature in the computer to trip these two different lights.

FYI... I rode all last year with a bad thermoswitch (i.e. no fan), which I've since replaced with the BMW one, and still never overheated. Right now I have the cautionary light to come on at 200* as I believe this is about the temp the fan comes on at. I have the Danger light to come on at 250* but I pretty much pulled that temp out of a hat. What do you guys think?

I think the fan on my 2014 comes on around 210-214.So IMHO thinking "danger" to be in the 240 range.

What pressure cap are you running?

I'm not sure what mine runs at. The temp strips on my 498 always seem to top out on the nasty trails (about 240). My XR 650R had a dipstick oil gauge that hovered right at about 270 most of the time. My XR600R would top out at 325 with no ill effects. The KTM 300 is almost always between 270-280 (Trail Tech gauge) when doing single track. 

I'm actually thinking of getting a Trail Tech Temp gauge for my Beta. They seem to be the most accurate. The strips not so much...

http://www.trailtech.net/digital-gauges/tto

Check the manuel. If it's like the voyager model it has two light that will read at 4 levels. First the yellow comes on then the red. Thirdly the yellow flashed and then the red. I have mine set at 190,200,210 and 220. Not sure when the stock fan comes on as it's never been above 196º. In town if the yellow thats set at 190º comes on, I just turn the manual switch on I installed. Brings it right down to the mid to high 170ºs. 

Edited by Rotax

I'm actually thinking of getting a Trail Tech Temp gauge for my Beta. They seem to be the most accurate. The strips not so much...

http://www.trailtech.net/digital-gauges/tto

Funny thing... I have a Voyager, and intentionally didn't hook up the temp sensor. I thought it would distract me too much; I actually like the temp strips, even though I know they aren't accurate.

Riding last weekend in a lot of sand and the temp was 85 (although my Voyager thought it was 90), my fan came on a lot more than what is normal for me. I'm using a BMW car fan switch rated for 91C or 196F.

Remember, knowing that is it overheating won't do you much good.

The only way to prevent overheating is to have a fan and/or oversize radiators, or ride faster

Once you have information that says you are overheating, what good will it do you? 

If you stop, it gets hotter, so that is not the solution.

The best solution is to keep it from happening in the first place.

Be careful with high bar pressure radiator caps

They have been known to cause radiators to split from not releasing the pressure soon enough

Boiling over is better than a split radiator.

1.6 is the highest recommened pressure.

I have a Berg fan that I am looking to hook up to a manual switch for my 14 250rr when its Romaniacs bound. Can anybody advise me on what wires are a 12v live under the tank? Or if this is posssible? I have yet to overheat the 250rr its runs that cool, my old 2t bergs/ktms overheated much easier than the Beta. 

Edited by Neomxdave

Remember, knowing that is it overheating won't do you much good.

The only way to prevent overheating is to have a fan and/or oversize radiators, or ride faster

Once you have information that says you are overheating, what good will it do you? 

If you stop, it gets hotter, so that is not the solution.

The best solution is to keep it from happening in the first place.

Be careful with high bar pressure radiator caps

They have been known to cause radiators to split from not releasing the pressure soon enough

Boiling over is better than a split radiator.

1.6 is the highest recommened pressure.

I just solved the problem and have been running Evens for the last few seasons on both my KTM 300 Kraut Wagon, and from brand new on my 498. I too run the 1.8 cap. The 1.6 is stock on the RS and 1.8 on the RR. 

• Like 1

I have yet to ride a day and my fan doesn't come on. Either the sensor is set too low or my norm is hot. Never boiled over or lost any coolant on a ride. As KoolAid said it does no good to know you're overheated.

I don't find the light distracting at all. I will pretty much ignore them if there solid, when they start to flash would lead me to start monitoring them more. For the most part I'm not really worried about boiling over as much as keeping the heat down so the oil won't start breaking down, especially with the small capacity in these motors. Some oils start the break down in the 270 range for conventional oils. Some full synthetics aren't much better at the 280 range. I thought in another post that Chris mentioned his got to 300º. If that number is acturate, these motors put out some serious heat. Personally I'd be inclined to shut it down at the 225º + range. Ideally I hope it runs in the 190º to 210º range.

I think my Voyager shows the engine temp, as opposed to flashing warning lights. I have a tendency to get fixated on things like that (I look at my temp sticker a LOT). I haven't researched it, but here's a pic I grabbed from the web:

32460031.jpg

Those two slashes, one on each side of the word" Voyager" are the lights. You have to set the temp limits and turn them on to work. They come set in the off mode. Yes, you can use the graph like you posted, but it shows max and avg. vs present temp. The Voyager will also graphs your elevation in the same fashion.

Edited by Rotax

^ Ah, ok. Yeah, this thing does way more than what I use it for. Hell, I can barely see it because my brake cable is in the way, haha.

Rotax... I did check the manual. The vapor only has 2 temperature lights (one yellow, one red) which are tripped by whatever temperatures you input into the computer. The Voyager appears to have way more options on it. Very nice!

Koolaid... I'm not sure what to say about the 1.8 bar being dangerous. It came standard on my 450RR from the dealership that way. I've ridden it several years (with and without a fan) and never had any problems.

I'll probably set the "warning light" to come on at 196* which I think is the temperature at which my fan comes on. I'd just like to have a visual cue as to when my fan is running. I'm not sure what I'll set the upper temperature light to come on at. Does anyone know at what temperature a 1.8 bar radiator cap will boil over at? 

I'm not really worried about this thing overheating as I've ridden in some pretty hot and slow conditions (without a fan) and never had any problems. Now that I actually do have a working fan, I just thought it would be cool to have one light come at about the same temperature the fan did. If someone knew at what temp it was likely to boil over I would set the "Danger" light below that so I would know to shut it down before it got to hot. Maybe I'll just run it, keep an eye on the temps, and see what's "normal".

Jeff, The Voyager only has two lights also. Each one is duel function. They light solid first and blink secondly corresponding to the 4 setting you program it with. My manual is pretty vague, yours maybe too? I found the options when playing with the user set mode. You may not have them but it's worth playing around with it to find out. They list amber/red temp lights for temp/tach from what I see for the Vapor. Might be a marketing thing to get you to buy the Voyager. If their going to give you two setting, why not all four. I'll have to compare the two models to see how much difference there is. At least you have two if thats the case.

Check the manuel. If it's like the voyager model it has two light that will read at 4 levels. First the yellow comes on then the red. Thirdly the yellow flashed and then the red. I have mine set at 190,200,210 and 220. Not sure when the stock fan comes on as it's never been above 196º. In town if the yellow thats set at 190º comes on, I just turn the manual switch on I installed. Brings it right down to the mid to high 170ºs. 

At your settings if I were to follow logic and stop at either red lite on, I would not be able to ride my bike at any time of year here. Your numbers are very low. My fan kicks at about 210. I set my yellows at 220, 235 - reds at 240 and 250. I run Evans with stock cap. Never an issue here in Ca at these settings.

At your settings if I were to follow logic and stop at either red lite on, I would not be able to ride my bike at any time of year here. Your numbers are very low. My fan kicks at about 210. I set my yellows at 220, 235 - reds at 240 and 250. I run Evans with stock cap. Never an issue here in Ca at these settings.

That's what I found! It's good to know that my temperature strips are pretty accurate after all. With Evens and the 1.8 cap my fan shuts off around 210 or so. Speaking of Evans, are you finding that the level stays just below the fins? At first it worried me. So I kept adding a little after each ride. But it just spits it out and refuses to stay above the fins like regular coolant. So I just leave it alone.

• Like 1

Mine runs in the mid 170º's. If it creeps up I turn the fan on manually if needed. While evans will stop the boil overs it also let the engine run hotter. I prefer to run as cool as possible within reason. I've run engine ice in the past and it does work, though by increasing the thermo efficiency vs raising the boiling point. We don't get the extreme temps some of you get so I can understand your point. I like being able to add water from the lakes, rivers or camelback if needed. I think your limit on evans is 4% water but sounds like most that run it have good luck and don't need to add.