Sell my drz sm for a fz-09?

I currently have a 2013 supermoto that I really enjoy. It just seems too slow and uncomfortable for riding long distance. I considered adding a pipe and fcr carb but that's about 1k. Anyone have any experience with an fz09?

I recently was gonna sell me DRZ for a FZ-09,  only thing is i ride dirt too,  cant do that with the FZ,  if i had the $ tho,  id get one, as they are just great bikes,  recently saw one in person for the first time,  looks so nice. 

Price is great,  weight is not too bad,  power is great,  torque is great,  and its FI and has so many nice features,  all the reviews and vids ive seen/read,  people say its the funnest bike theyve ever had and absolutely love it. 

I have an FZ-6 in addition to my DRZ and the new FZ-09 is probably the next bike I'll be buying once they hit the used market.  The FZ6 has been a fantastic bike, and I know the FZ1 and FZ8 are even better, so I'm sure the FZ-09 kicks some serious butt.  I particularly like the riding position and geometry they have set up out of the box.  

Edited by thedigitel

I test rode the fz a month ago, after watching many videos and reading alot up on it I was excited about this bike.. The bike fit me like a glove at 5'7" 155lbs.

This bike was an absolute blast to ride, they way it sounds, the power on command especially in A mode the thing just wants too and will wheelie all day long, it's got monster torque that leaves a grin on your face well after an hour after riding it.

It's not that much of a different feeling then the Drz to be honest, I mean two totally different machines but the seating position and bars make you feel like you're on a Supermoto till you look down and see the huge tank and 850cc of motor waiting to be opened up..

If i had the coin I'd have both, I love my sm but one day I might cave in to the fz09, orange color of course

FZ-09 for the money is a great buy. Engine has good usable power but the soft suspension and brakes leave something to be desired. Yamaha also does not have a fix for the choppy fuel injection and makes smooth throttle control a b**ch. To upgrade the suspension the cheap fixes are not that great and take about $1200 in suspension work to make it really nice. Upgrade the brakes with Galfer stainless lines help ALOT. The choppy fuel injection is fixed by an after market fuel/air remapping and is about $310 and install an after market exhaust to get it to flow better helps torque..

After all the cost for the upgrades you have just put yourself in range of so many better bikes.

Good luck in your buy

Edited by bmechanic

FZ-09 for the money is a great buy. Engine has good usable power but the soft suspension and brakes leave something to be desired. Yamaha also does not have a fix for the choppy fuel injection and makes smooth throttle control a b**ch. To upgrade the suspension the cheap fixes are not that great and take about $1200 in suspension work to make it really nice. Upgrade the brakes with Galfer stainless lines help ALOT. The choppy fuel injection is fixed by an after market fuel/air remapping and is about $310.

FZ-09 is not designed to be a long distance bike

After all the cost for the upgrades you have just put yourself in range of so many better bikes.

Good luck in your buy

FZ-09 for the money is a great buy. Engine has good usable power but the soft suspension and brakes leave something to be desired. Yamaha also does not have a fix for the choppy fuel injection and makes smooth throttle control a b**ch. To upgrade the suspension the cheap fixes are not that great and take about $1200 in suspension work to make it really nice. Upgrade the brakes with Galfer stainless lines help ALOT. The choppy fuel injection is fixed by an after market fuel/air remapping and is about $310.

Good luck in your buy

[This is all BS, I have owned an MT 09 for 3 months and its is awesome, Ive had Blades FZR's, VFR's, GSXR's all sorts and hand on heart the MT 09 is the best bike for having fun on out of the lot of them, the front is a bit soft but nothing a 200 buck set of springs and heavier fork oil wont fix, for 70kg pilots its not an issue, the throttle is fine once you used to it, the brakes are bang on for the intent of the bike, some pads and lines will have the thing over in no time, the chassis has tonnes of potential and is fine for normal riding, the motor is awesome hands down, easily the best most usable bike engine designed in the last decade, its comfortable, sounds great and puts the biggest fattest smile on my dial, pulls the easiest wheelies of any bike Ive owned, the bikes has the potential with the right mods to kill any other bike on the road through the corners (sticky tyres, screen, pipe PCV, Ohlins internals and a TTX would be the bomb), and they are 8 grand US, a steal, (14000 in NZ and still a steal)I own this and a 462cc DRZ and neither one will be sold any time soon, Im feel very lucky to have both, but I have worked fookin hard to get them, there are none for sale second hand, and barely any available new, if you buy one you wont regret it at all my 2 cents]

• Like 1

FZ-09 for the money is a great buy. Engine has good usable power but the soft suspension and brakes leave something to be desired. Yamaha also does not have a fix for the choppy fuel injection and makes smooth throttle control a b**ch. To upgrade the suspension the cheap fixes are not that great and take about $1200 in suspension work to make it really nice. Upgrade the brakes with Galfer stainless lines help ALOT. The choppy fuel injection is fixed by an after market fuel/air remapping and is about $310.

Good luck in your buy

[This is all BS, I have owned an MT 09 for 3 months and its is awesome, Ive had Blades FZR's, VFR's, GSXR's all sorts and hand on heart the MT 09 is the best bike for having fun on out of the lot of them, the front is a bit soft but nothing a 200 buck set of springs and heavier fork oil wont fix, for 70kg pilots its not an issue, the throttle is fine once you used to it, the brakes are bang on for the intent of the bike, some pads and lines will have the thing over in no time, the chassis has tonnes of potential and is fine for normal riding, the motor is awesome hands down, easily the best most usable bike engine designed in the last decade, its comfortable, sounds great and puts the biggest fattest smile on my dial, pulls the easiest wheelies of any bike Ive owned, the bikes has the potential with the right mods to kill any other bike on the road through the corners (sticky tyres, screen, pipe PCV, Ohlins internals and a TTX would be the bomb), and they are 8 grand US, a steal, (14000 in NZ and still a steal)I own this and a 462cc DRZ and neither one will be sold any time soon, Im feel very lucky to have both, but I have worked fookin hard to get them, there are none for sale second hand, and barely any available new, if you buy one you wont regret it at all my 2 cents]

FZ-09 for the money is a great buy. Engine has good usable power but the soft suspension and brakes leave something to be desired. Yamaha also does not have a fix for the choppy fuel injection and makes smooth throttle control a b**ch. To upgrade the suspension the cheap fixes are not that great and take about $1200 in suspension work to make it really nice. Upgrade the brakes with Galfer stainless lines help ALOT. The choppy fuel injection is fixed by an after market fuel/air remapping and is about $310. FZ-09 is not designed to be a long distance bike After all the cost for the upgrades you have just put yourself in range of so many better bikes. Good luck in your buy[This is all BS, I have owned an MT 09 for 3 months and its is awesome, Ive had Blades FZR's, VFR's, GSXR's all sorts and hand on heart the MT 09 is the best bike for having fun on out of the lot of them, the front is a bit soft but nothing a 200 buck set of springs and heavier fork oil wont fix, for 70kg pilots its not an issue, the throttle is fine once you used to it, the brakes are bang on for the intent of the bike, some pads and lines will have the thing over in no time, the chassis has tonnes of potential and is fine for normal riding, the motor is awesome hands down, easily the best most usable bike engine designed in the last decade, its comfortable, sounds great and puts the biggest fattest smile on my dial, pulls the easiest wheelies of any bike Ive owned, the bikes has the potential with the right mods to kill any other bike on the road through the corners (sticky tyres, screen, pipe PCV, Ohlins internals and a TTX would be the bomb), and they are 8 grand US, a steal, (14000 in NZ and still a steal)I own this and a 462cc DRZ and neither one will be sold any time soon, Im feel very lucky to have both, but I have worked fookin hard to get them, there are none for sale second hand, and barely any available new, if you buy one you wont regret it at all my 2 cents]

I have posted my findings of the fz09 and you seem to agree with me that the suspension, brakes and throttle have issues. You choose the low budget way to fix them but to get best bang for the buck alittle more money needs to be spent. Now it's up to the original poster to decide what's best for them.

Edited by bmechanic

I have posted my findings of the fz09 and you seem to agree with me that the suspension, brakes and throttle have issues. You choose the low budget way to fix them but to get best bang for the buck alittle more money needs to be spent. Now it's up to the original poster to decide what's best for them.

From what ive read most say if you are 180 or under the suspension is fine.

Its a $7k bike,  IMO  a GREAT deal. 

Theres comparision vids on youtube comparing it to the 16K speed tripple and it comes out on top,  yamaha has a winner with this one.

ive been thinking the same thing and that question is contently on my mind is to sell my drz and get an fz-09. i sat on one in the yamaha dealer and it feels great. it has a fairly wide seat but thats fine plenty of cusion.i think the problem will always remain and no escape if you go from a drz to and fz-09 is the very soft suspension but that is fixable and easy to change cause the power of the engine is there . definitely my next bike before anything else!!!!  ?

• Like 1

There have been the guys in my home town trading in GXERS and R1's to the dealer I bough mine off, one R1 traded was the desirable 2007 model (the fast one and last of the 180 crank models) and they are loving their new bikes and modding the living shite out of them, they are a hoot and worth every cent.

• Like 1

From what ive read most say if you are 180 or under the suspension is fine.

Its a $7k bike,  IMO  a GREAT deal. 

Theres comparision vids on youtube comparing it to the 16K speed tripple and it comes out on top,  yamaha has a winner with this one.

Please reread the first words of my original post

• Like 1

I currently have a 2013 supermoto that I really enjoy. It just seems too slow and uncomfortable for riding long distance. I considered adding a pipe and fcr carb but that's about 1k. Anyone have any experience with an fz09?

personal experience:

the bike is not as compact as the typical 'honda' geometry as some have said. i'm 6'4" and it fits fine. 

the suspension is -street-bike- suspension, not race replica. now that is not bad, just there is a huge difference between the two. how many gsx-r's ever make it to the track ? exactly.

the engine is gold. yamaha reliability with ducati 812 power. wait, it feels -better- than the hypermotard, for thousands less  ? yep, it does. 

if i had one the only modifications i would do would be pro714 grips, respring and a flyscreen. this is a fantastic bike, and should prove much more reliable than the now 15 year old drz design. 

do it, you won't regret it. 

i was wanting an fz-09 when i was in the market for 'my next bike' .. i wanted it street, i wanted it strong, and wanted it practical .. i had already had the drz for years, been riding for years street and offroad with several bikes ... like another person above implied though, the actual street experience your going to get on the fz-09, being an open bike, and the riding position, is going to be the same as the drz once you get past the torque of the fz .. its not a very 'practical' bike if you really want to ride, like head up to visit someone several states away .. i ultimately went with a ninja1000 after much careful thought and i am not disappointed .. its kindof an ignored bike but has alot more to offer than the fz, to me anyway, i dont regret the choice one bit .. i would still like to have an fz because i think its an awesome bike .. i just wouldnt want to have it as the 'only bike' ..

Thanks for all the advice. I just bought a red fz09. Pick it up saturday if it's not raining. Now I guess it's time to sell the drz sm. I'm hoping to get $5500 for it. It only has 1400 miles on it now.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the advice. I just bought a red fz09. Pick it up saturday if it's not raining. Now I guess it's time to sell the drz sm. I'm hoping to get $5500 for it. It only has 1400 miles on it now.

Awesome!!  I'm jealous.  Post some pictures when you get it!

• Like 1

badass post some pics and keep us updated on how much u sell the drz for