Hydraulic Clutch

Have a 02 yz250f with stock clutch kit. It's way to stiff for my liking and adjustments aren't helping much. The lever is also broken at the end, which I like because it is perfect length for two fingers, but I'm definitely replacing it. I'm thinking about installing a hydraulic kit. Of course I've heard Magura's are the best around, worth the money?... Any other suggestions

Personally I prefer cable. You feel more in-tune with the machine. Sort of like..... digital or analog soundboards. The cool people in the know, prefers analog.

It's very obvious you have never ridden a hydraulic clutch....ha ha. But then again, you probably haven't ridden a cable clutch either..lol.

Edited by Fattonz
  • Like 7

It's just that hydraulics have this 'artificial' feel to it........ I prefer to be with one as close as possible to the machine, because I am a racer.  If I can have cable actuated brakes I would!  ?

I think what you're looking for is a bicycle...

• Like 4

It's just that hydraulics have this 'artificial' feel to it........ I prefer to be with one as close as possible to the machine, because I am a racer.  If I can have cable actuated brakes I would!  ?

Sorry  but you are clueless.

A brand new bike, one with a cable, one with a hydro, feel identical.

Ummm,

William1, meet HondaPower

HondaPower, William1

Yupper, been laughing for weeks.

• Like 5

OP, if you ride more technical stuff and do a lot of clutch modulating you'll love the hydraulic clutch if you go that route. If your hand strength is up (and maybe if it isn't for that matter) you can run it all day long with just the index finger. Great feel too!

I haven't tried some of the cable options that offer better leverage, but I bet they are good too...

Edited by Fattonz
  • Like 2

It's just that hydraulics have this 'artificial' feel to it........ I prefer to be with one as close as possible to the machine, because I am a racer. If I can have cable actuated brakes I would! ?

I've yet to be warned/banned for this, so I'll keep doing it.....

HELLO FROM AFTER SCHOOL!

1401301036496.jpg

Edited by zotis777
  • Like 7

I had no clue this thread would bring such entertainment! Haha

OP, if you ride more technical stuff and do a lot of clutch modulating you'll love the hydraulic clutch if you go that route. If your hand strength is up (and maybe if it isn't for that matter) you can run it all day long with just the index finger. Great feel too!

I haven't tried some of the cable options that offer better leverage, but I bet they are good too...

Hand strength isn't an issue and even the stiff lever I have now doesn't give me fatigue, for that fact I was going to just go with a quality cable setup. 1 reason being cost of the hydraulics but if it's worth the money, I don't have a problem paying. 2 I'm not sure if Magura offers a shorty lever? Not that it would be a deciding factor. I do use a lot of clutch so I am most definitely wanting more response with less effort.

• Like 1

Personally I prefer cable. You feel more in-tune with the machine. Sort of like..... digital or analog soundboards. The cool people in the know, prefers analog.

Hey pie boy.....are you sure you're not referring to the difference in feel between the digital directional pad and the analogue stick on your PS3 controller? Because I like to play MX vs ATV Reflex with my boys when we're not out on our REAL dirt bikes. I find the analogue stick definitely gives a better feel....I can even do controlled wheelies with it ?

But just so you know, it doesn't really carry over to real motorcycles....

I had no clue this thread would bring such entertainment! Haha

Hand strength isn't an issue and even the stiff lever I have now doesn't give me fatigue, for that fact I was going to just go with a quality cable setup. 1 reason being cost of the hydraulics but if it's worth the money, I don't have a problem paying. 2 I'm not sure if Magura offers a shorty lever? Not that it would be a deciding factor. I do use a lot of clutch so I am most definitely wanting more response with less effort.

My opinion is a bit biased because aside from my stock hydraulic clutch I have only ever used stock cable clutches, and none of the other easy pull options. But I can say I maintain my clutch well and keep it bled using the reverse method, and the response/ feel is spectacular. During technical climbs and such I can just set the throttle at steady output then use tiny single finger movements with the clutch to keep traction or to keep the front down. I love it and imagine I'll likely never go back to cable...

If you go with hydraulic a good set of handguards might be a good idea too. It will offer some extra protection for your hydraulics...

Edited by Fattonz
  • Like 2

Why complicate matters with a hydraulic clutch setup?  It's costly and isn't even worth in terms of any kind of 'performance' gain...... it ain't as if you need a hundred pounds of pressure to apply a cable clutch.  If that was the case, then sure hydraulics would make better sense, but it's not.

Besides, cable systems have less cost in repair.... simply replace a cable, whereas in a hydraulic system you have to worry about costly repairs if it should break down on you. 

Why complicate matters with a hydraulic clutch setup? It's costly and isn't even worth in terms of any kind of 'performance' gain...... it ain't as if you need a hundred pounds of pressure to apply a cable clutch. If that was the case, then sure hydraulics would make better sense, but it's not.

Besides, cable systems have less cost in repair.... simply replace a cable, whereas in a hydraulic system you have to worry about costly repairs if it should break down on you.

I just think it might be better if the OP hears opinions from people who actually ride dirt bikes ?

You know what's ironic, is that you currently have a thread asking what the appropriate number of fingers is to have on the levers...lol. The more you type the more you reveal how little you know, every time....

The only mistake I keep making is replying to your posts...lol.

Edited by Fattonz
  • Like 6