Sign in to follow this  

Which WD Hitch for 18' Fun Runner

I have a 2002 1/2 ton Silverado with tow package. Specs say it can tow 5000 lbs and a 600 lb tongue weight with a simple ball. I just purchased a toy hauler rated 3600 lbs dry and 725 lb tongue weight. It will just be used for camping with some light dirt bikes in the back. I was told I did not need a special hitch but looking at these numbers I do. If it becomes 5000 loaded with a similar % on the tongue that would be 1000 lb at the tongue. I have not started using it yet so don't really know how much weight I would eventually/ really haul.  Bringing it home empty, the rear of the truck went down a bit but I would not say extreme. I probably only got up to 50 mph and it seemed to handle OK but I have never towed a trailer like this before so have nothing for comparison.

Does anyone have experience with this particular model?  Would 1000 lb tongue be the correct size WD hitch to purchase? Are there any other recommendations? Should I have sway control
?

Length would be a bigger factor with sway. Wdh hitches will come with different weight spring bars.IMO 800 lb bars would be sufficient. Personally I would probably run a sway bar just for the easier towing experience. Too heavy of a bar will make for a bouncy wash board type ride

Edited by Ditchhooker

The truck with the right hitch will pull it no problem. I would be more concerned with how is it going to handle when you need to stop. Hopefully you have brakes on the trailer. Make sure you know how much weight you are going to have in and on the trailer because it can add up real quick.405823_326101427431440_100000947578958_926929_1044911120_n.jpg

Edited by libertyk9