Sign in to follow this  

exhaust springs

I was wondering what the purpose the springs on the exhaust header serve when the pipe is bolted to the head?

I was wondering what the purpose the springs on the exhaust header serve when the pipe is bolted to the head?

The pipe isn't bolted to the head. Usually there is an exhaust flange bolted to the head and the pipe slides over it. The springs hold the pipe in place....

Use the Search function!  This has been answered 100's of times on here!

The springs control the tension of the muffler bearings!

• Like 2

There's quite a bit of spooge and drips where the pipe connects to exhaust port....... is it normal?  Or do I need to replace the O-rings?  Bike is a 2 stroke.

Edited by Honda_Power

There's quite a bit of spooge and drips where the pipe connects to exhaust port....... is it normal?  Or do I need to replace the O-rings?  Bike is a 2 stroke.

Just wipe with kleenix.  It is probably a young bike & will spooge often

• Like 4

Carb needs re-adjusted or rejetted if you have any spooge from the exhaust it's simply running too rich . http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/347305-is-your-two-stroke-running-rich-read-here/

Edited by Beau 88

New FMF springs and O rings are less than $10 and solved my problem.

I wonder why people buy the spring pullers, do they not own pliers?

One note - the bottom spring vibrates against my gnarly pipe and makes a wretched noise that you dont want to hear after a top end... looking for solutions...

One note - the bottom spring vibrates against my gnarly pipe and makes a wretched noise that you dont want to hear after a top end... looking for solutions...

I have an FMF pipe too, a Fatty.  Do you think it'll help with the leaking 'spooge' problem if I put in new O-rings? 

Edited by Honda_Power

Once you use a nice lil spring puller, youll look for it every time you pull your pipe. Not necessary but its nice.

Smaller diameter springs are out there...if that would work

• Like 1

I have an FMF pipe too, a Fatty.  Do you think it'll help with the leaking 'spooge' problem if I put in new O-rings? 

Definitely jb weld your pipe on.

• Like 1

Once you use a nice lil spring puller, youll look for it every time you pull your pipe. Not necessary but its nice.

+1

Smaller diameter springs are out there...if that would work

A shoe lace or my favorite, a piece of bailing twine works just as well and much cheaper