Sign in to follow this  

BEST RACK SYSTEM & STORAGE OPTIONS **PICS**

Hey guys,

I'm looking into investing in a rack system on the back of my bike. I want to build a system that supports storage and gas storage.

What are your suggestions on a high value rack system, storage box and gas container?

Thanks!

Moose rack and rotopax for gas and storage--Question what do you do in the tech field--Puters?? :excuseme:  reason i ask is i have an ipad question and the closest app store is over 200 miles away??

I just installed a Manracks utility rack and it supports Rotopax. I highly recommend them. The system is very extensible and you can buy extenders to allow you to mount additional Rotopax containers on a single mounting point. I think I read that each mounting point is good for 600 pounds! They have various sizes and types of fuel cans, storage containers, and water containers. Here's a post with pictures I made on another thread recently:

And my adventure build is done.

I have a Wolfman Enduro tank bag, some generic handguards, 1.6" bar risers, the Manrack Utility Rack with Rotopax support, a 2-gallon Rotopax storage container, and a 3-gallon Rotopax fuel can. Here it is all loaded up:

qcqAt80.jpg

m5cKUqe.jpg

UbzPCeF.jpg

wBmGMcN.jpg

lpw9Rgl.jpg

Cn1N7xb.jpg

bKKNPQ6.jpg

Defjql2.jpg

7rWxyYK.jpg

HrtMHMH.jpg

VN78LLM.jpg

• Like 2

I just installed a Manracks utility rack and it supports Rotopax. I highly recommend them. The system is very extensible and you can buy extenders to allow you to mount additional Rotopax containers on a single mounting point. I think I read that each mounting point is good for 600 pounds! They have various sizes and types of fuel cans, storage containers, and water containers. Here's a post with pictures I made on another thread recently:

How do you swing your leg over the stacked setup? Or is it more of a step through motion?

Edited by woods-rider

same way i probably do with the tail bag on... i step on the peg and get on her like a horse...  lol   or if i cant use the stand i do the step through... which by the way is very hard with the comp 5's on... lol

IMG_20130407_180205_203.jpg

its all cloths in there... jackets and stuff.... so its not heavy, just big... lol  

• Like 6

And then there's the cheap bastard route! :p   Dry storage & gas, done.

33A8E255-5504-4165-875C-67F33A2A0CD9_zps

3026A657-A291-43AC-AD4D-D2ACA2274469_zps

I resemble that remark--I have the same rack with a small plastic (Honda red) plastic milk crate and a two gallon gas can--lots of bungies too!! :thumbsup::lol::excuseme: :excuseme: :worthy:

Edited by USMCVietVet
  • Like 3

same way i probably do with the tail bag on... i step on the peg and get on her like a horse...  lol   or if i cant use the stand i do the step through... which by the way is very hard with the comp 5's on... lol

Same, I stand on the left peg and then it's easy to get my right leg over, at least on pavement where the stand is planted solidly. Off-road it's pretty tricky to get on and I'm sure it looks awkward as hell, but I generally don't run both Rotopax at the same time. I keep the storage pack on most of the time for cargo space, and I take it off and put the gas can on for trails trips.

• Like 2

I resemble that remark--I have the same rack with a small plastic (Honda red) plastic milk crate and a two gallon gas can--lots of bungies too!! :thumbsup::lol::excuseme: :excuseme: :worthy:

Redneck all the way!  I love running into the BMW ADV bike crowd from Seattle that make it out this way, I'm pretty sure it scares the hell out of 'em because they won't talk to me.  Of course they probably spent more on their fancy riding clothes then I did on my whole bike.  To each their own!!

• Like 1

I had a BMW-GS years ago good bike--fun to out corner the Harley guys--i still have my Gerbing heated jacket from Union Washington my wife bought me at the Montana BMW national rally-- :thumbsup: :thumbsup:  You can tell what kind of bike guys have by their clothes--leather +Harley  Areostitch+ BMW Denim jacket shorts+ Goldwing :p --Dual sport = dam near anything :devil:

• Like 2

I had a BMW-GS years ago good bike--fun to out corner the Harley guys--i still have my Gerbing heated jacket from Union Washington my wife bought me at the Montana BMW national rally-- :thumbsup: :thumbsup:  You can tell what kind of bike guys have by their clothes--leather +Harley  Areostitch+ BMW Denim jacket shorts+ Goldwing :p --Dual sport = dam near anything :devil:

More often than not I have a pair of Carhartt bibs that I wear over my jeans just to add to their dismay.  That and I live on an Indian reservation (not Indian though) so they are a little scared before they even get into town.  I smile and wave but they just pretend I'm not even there.  Funny stuff.

• Like 1

i was just eyeing up some nice black and red milk crates that were in front of my local gas station... my wife laughed at me...  this just means it  must have item since it makes her quiver.....  lol

does the milk crate "whistle" at speed? not that i would hear it over the pc4.... lol

• Like 2

i was just eyeing up some nice black and red milk crates that were in front of my local gas station... my wife laughed at me...  this just means it  must have item since it makes her quiver.....  lol

does the milk crate "whistle" at speed? not that i would hear it over the pc4.... lol

Not that i know of but my hearing is bad--i have the one with the short 8 inch sides is all -thusly i do not like loud exhausts

• Like 1

This is from another site but, I really like this setup ....  :thumbsup:

It was the first trip I'd taken after fitting some Kriega Overlander 30 bags. They couldn't have been simpler to fit. Rather than using the supplied mounts that came with the bags (they require some drilling) I just looped the top straps around my Nomadic rack and attached the lower straps to the bike frame. Then its a simple pull on the 2 top straps and the one middle strap to tension them and vuala some very secure fitting bags.

I had my lunch, small telescope, binoculars, 7inch tablet computer, headphones, spare gloves, socks and some spare straps in them. And after 300 miles of riding (150+) in the rain I can confirm that the interior of the bags remained completely dry. They were also as tightly fitted after 300 miles as they were when I first put them on
The bag on top contained my oversuit, and 5 litres of fuel.

The bike averaged 86mpg (UK) so I didn't have to use my spare fuel but it was nice to have it with me.

14286634001_9a80bb9d8c_b.jpg 
Edited by gnath9
  • Like 2

The rack by Cycleracks appears to have lots of possibilities. I have one on my CRF250L and had one on my T-Dub. Can be used in many ways, with a Rotopax, or with a panniers system or both. Its a little wide(18 inchs) but uses two mounts on the frame taking weight off the subframe.

This is from another site but, I really like this setup ....  :thumbsup:

Gnath which site did you find that on?

ProMoto billet aluminum rack with CRF Red milk crate... perfect for those Chinese food take-out runs. 

IMAG0867_1_zpshoyh3l3b.jpg

• Like 3