Sign in to follow this  

97 xr250r sputtering issues

My xr recently started sputtering at half throttle really bad and a little at wide open. It ran fine for years this just started without me doing anything. I've cleaned carb 3 times and found nothing, replaced coil, checked petcock strainer, new plug, it hasn't helped. Sometimes it runs better thsn others seems to get worse ehen it gets hot. Any suggestions would be appreciated this thing is getting on my nerved

Gets worse when the bike gets hot or the outside air temperature gets hot?  If the latter, sounds like it could be a rich condition.  If so, raising the jet needle clip one position (effectively lowering the needle itself) should help the mid-range.  You may also need to go down one size on your main jet to resolve the full-throttle issue.

There are MANY other possible causes, but that's my best guess based on the info provided. 

Edited by Redpoint

Reset needle it ran great for 1/4 mile then acts like it starving for fuel, I checked everything it's getting fuel like I said ran pefect every weekend for last few years this just started and seems to b getting worse could it b something electrical other than coil it has good compression and no valve rattle

You cleaned the carb, but did you remove the fuel screw and clean that passage and verify the condition of its o ring? If not, then you really didn't clean the carb.

Contaminated fuel will cause that too.

Edited by Trailryder42

Checked and cleaned fuel screw on ring looks Deteriated Gonna Try Replacing It See How That Goes Hopefully That's It

Put new oring in it and runs like a champ now thanks for help

Put new oring in it and runs like a champ now thanks for help

Glad to hear.. Now you know, make this one of the first things you think of when it happens again.