Sign in to follow this  

2013 KTM 250sx New owner

So ive just bought a two stroke KTM 250 sx, its a 2013 model and i cant wait to ride the damn thing!!

Id just like to know some info about them from the owners who ride them and put them through their paces. Ive ridden two strokes since i was 4, went for a 4 banger last year but want a change hence the KTM.

What are the Do's and Donts? Any info appreciated

regards

Rob

So ive just bought a two stroke KTM 250 sx, its a 2013 model and i cant wait to ride the damn thing!!

Id just like to know some info about them from the owners who ride them and put them through their paces. Ive ridden two strokes since i was 4, went for a 4 banger last year but want a change hence the KTM.

What are the Do's and Donts? Any info appreciated

regards

Rob

Hey bud congrats on the new machine. Beings you've had other bikes I assume you now how to break it in.

Just take it easy give it a heat cycle or two. I have the same bike mine I piped it put in Rekluse core 3.0. When new they are very rich jetted.

I'm at sea level the necj needle from a rm 250 3rd clip from top 38 pilot,170 main air screw 2.1/2 out now I'm at sea level. I also run motel mix at 60:1 like the manual says.

I was a bit scared to mix that ratio but when I did the bike ran cooler and just plain old better.

I used the manual to set up my suspension you would be surprised at how much those little clickers work.

now on to the power valve spring I use stock yellow I messed around with the red spring and brass nut for me stock setting is spot on I beat the balls of my bikes so I know a bit on what power valve spring works best.

after break in hit me up I can probably help you get it jetted right.

After she's jetted right beware of dogs if you ain't careful she might bite ya.

• Like 2

These aren't necessarily all two stroke things, but here goes:

• Make sure to use blue permatex on all of the exhaust bolts or they'll vibrate right out on the 2t.  
  • Tighten your spokes after the first few rides.  
  • Apply anti-seize or at least grease to your chain adjuster bolts that thread into the swing arm.  
  • Mine came with the front wheel improperly seated in the forks.  I'm not sure how you become a dealer mechanic without knowing how to install a front wheel.  But, I'll be checking that before the first ride from now on.  

Have fun!  

i dont think many people do it but i recomend a full teardown and inspection. be sure everything greased and torqed  and adjusted correct. antiseize and loctite on appropiate fasteners.  some people have had problems with the right side clutch cover gasket leaking so keep a eye on it. aparently theres a cometic gasket that fixes the problem

The stock jetting on KTM 2T bikes is for 2000' at 70°. If you are not at or near 2000' and it is not or close to 70° you need to change the jetting. The jetting chart in the back of the owners manual works good if you run in the parameters that it is meant to run by the factory. You must run pump gas with an oil that is made to be mixed at a 50:1 - 60:1 ratio. If you run at a different ratio or race gas, the jetting chart won't be worth the paper it is printed on.

Buy a torque wrench and use it on all the bolts. If you do you won't have any trouble with bolts getting loose. Check them after every ride especially the shifter and kick starter bolts. The seat bolt will fall out if you don't torque it to spec.

Be very carful when you put the air filter in. It is so easy to have a gap on the back side if it doesn't sit right in the air boot. I like to take my seat off when I put in a new air filter so I can be sure it seals properly.

I like to put dielectric grease in all my electrical connectors when the bike is new. This will stop any water from getting in and start corrosion in the plugs. It seem like nothing now but when you wash your bike water stays up under the tank for days before it drys out.

Your bike should come with a few extra idle jets, main jets, needles and some colored (red, green) power valve springs. You will want to keep these in your tool box. It is easy to change the jetting and the P.V. spring. I like to use the green spring for trail riding in the woods. I use the yellow (stock) spring for hard pack MX tracks and the red spring for sand tracks.

Good luck with your new bike.

Thanks for all the good info, I've got her all greased and rode it for the first time today. The jetting is way off down low, the bike fouled a plug within 2 hours of riding. It was fine on track but any time I pulled into the pits it bogged. I'm thinking lean out the pilot jet and needle? I have to say I loved being back on a two stroke!!

That is exactly the same problem I had with the stock jetting on my 2013 250sx. It's super rich at low throttle but lean when open. Switch to a Suzuki 2008 RM250 NECJ needle, and a 170 main (yes, that much bigger) and you will be much happier. Broader power and it will run clean at all RPMs and throttle positions.

Thanks for all the good info, I've got her all greased and rode it for the first time today. The jetting is way off down low, the bike fouled a plug within 2 hours of riding. It was fine on track but any time I pulled into the pits it bogged. I'm thinking lean out the pilot jet and needle? I have to say I loved being back on a two stroke!!

what jets and needle was in there ?

+1 for the NECJ needle clip3. I actually went 172 on the main kept stock pilot. Depending on altitude you may need 40 pilot. Air screw out 2 turns. The needle is the key to eliminate the off idle bog. Runs like a beast all through the range now. Also have pro circuit platinum 2 pipe and R304 silencer. Running 44:1 with no spooge. Play with power valve too. I have mine at 1/4 turn counter clockwise from stock position. Runs awesome. Love this bike. Get the suspension revalved it works much better. I'm 185 and went up a spring rate too. Sag set at 105 mm.

• Like 1

I would order a primary gasket for your clutch right away from Jeff Slavens racing. It's very common for these gaskets to break and dump all of your coolant on the ground, and if not noticed right away, will cause engine damage. Just this Sunday I was racing and my gasket failed and blew my top end.