Sign in to follow this  

Anyone tried swing arm extensions on a dirt bike?

I know that they make plenty of swingarm extensions for street bikes that bolt on. Would some of these fit a dirt bike? I would like a couple inch extensions to help with some hill climbs here in wellsville and hillsville.

Mine and all other dirt bike swing arm extensions that I have seen are custom made. I have seen bolt on extensions made for ktm and they worked well .

Edited by mec500

Mine and all other dirt bike swing arm extensions that I have seen are custom made. I have seen bolt on extensions made for ktm and they worked well .

The custom place I found online is called something like "centurymachineusa.com" where did you get yours from and how much am I looking at cost wise? Also there are a lot out there for street bikes around 200-300$. Would I maybe be able to buy one of those and grind it down to fit my bike?
  • Like 1

Couldn't you pick up an oem swingarm and cut it in the middle, then weld an extra section in, along with the end?

• Like 2

Couldn't you pick up an oem swingarm and cut it in the middle, then weld an extra section in, along with the end?

I have seen this setup a few times and it looks the cleanest but does lack adjustability

I know that they make plenty of swingarm extensions for street bikes that bolt on. Would some of these fit a dirt bike? I would like a couple inch extensions to help with some hill climbs here in wellsville and hillsville.

I don't have any experience with extending dirt bike swingarms, but I have extended a swingarm on a four wheeler i had to get more clearance for the tires.. It was a major pain in the butt. It required too much custom fabricating (nice word for n..... rigging) to be worth it. The drive shaft was the worst part. I just ditched the brakes. I will never do it again.

On a dirt bike, you obviously have a chain so that would not be a big deal. I'm sure you could get some extended brake lines somewhere. But it would require so much custom welding that i would never trust the bike again. I would constantly be afraid of hitting a bump and the swingarm breaking in half. Not worth it IMO unless you could find a bolt on

The custom place I found online is called something like "centurymachineusa.com" where did you get yours from and how much am I looking at cost wise? Also there are a lot out there for street bikes around 200-300$. Would I maybe be able to buy one of those and grind it down to fit my bike?

Design what you need and take to local machine shop for them to build

• Like 1

Just be warned that every advantage the extended swingarm gives you going up the hill it will take away going down the hill