Sign in to follow this  

KDX 200 Brake Fluid

Hello everyone I have a 2001 KDX200 and was wondering what you guys use for brake fluid in your kdx200s. I know you can use dot 3 or 4, but I want to know which one is better and some specific brands that are good.

Thanks

2001 Kawasaki KDX200

Hello everyone I have a 2001 KDX200 and was wondering what you guys use for brake fluid in your kdx200s. I know you can use dot 3 or 4, but I want to know which one is better and some specific brands that are good.

Thanks

2001 Kawasaki KDX200

dot 3 or 4 are fine to use, if you use dot 5 or higher make sure you flush out all the dot 3/4 or you will swell up all the rubber in the system,any name brand will work.

Don't use DOT 5 in a system designed for DOT 3 or 4, nor vise versa. DOT 5.1 is typically compatible with 3 and 4. 

DOT 4 is slightly "better" than DOT 3 in that the boiling point is slightly higher, 446 degF vs DOT 3's 401 degF. Note that this is for fresh, dry fluid. Brake fluid absorbs moisture from the air and this in turn lowers it's boiling point and raises corrosion issues. 

Buy whatever brand fluid you want, it all meets the same standards to earn the DOT rating. bleed all the old fluid out for fresh about once a year and you should not have issues. If you are a chronic brake boiler then there may be something else going on, sticking caliper piston, worn slide pins, bad habit of brake dragging, etc. Not to be fixed by fluid, but by maintenance or curing a bad habit. Unless you ride at a pro level, they can honestly boil stuff.

• Like 1

Don't use DOT 5 in a system designed for DOT 3 or 4, nor vise versa. DOT 5.1 is typically compatible with 3 and 4.

DOT 4 is slightly "better" than DOT 3 in that the boiling point is slightly higher, 446 degF vs DOT 3's 401 degF. Note that this is for fresh, dry fluid. Brake fluid absorbs moisture from the air and this in turn lowers it's boiling point and raises corrosion issues.

Buy whatever brand fluid you want, it all meets the same standards to earn the DOT rating. bleed all the old fluid out for fresh about once a year and you should not have issues. If you are a chronic brake boiler then there may be something else going on, sticking caliper piston, worn slide pins, bad habit of brake dragging, etc. Not to be fixed by fluid, but by maintenance or curing a bad habit. Unless you ride at a pro level, they can honestly boil stuff.

u

Wow thank you very much! This answers everything!

2001 Kawasaki KDX200

So would maxima 550 racing brake fluid work? It's hi temp

2001 Kawasaki KDX200

Yes it would work fine, but is likely completely unnecessary. I'd personally save the money.