Is hammerhead really worth it?

I have to use then because I have size 14 boots. The brake pedals are awesome, never broke one. The shifters are great but the ends wear out on them because it is aluminum on aluminum. I go through two a year. Imo they are with it, but to each there own.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I have to use then because I have size 14 boots. The brake pedals are awesome, never broke one. The shifters are great but the ends wear out on them because it is aluminum on aluminum. I go through two a year. Imo they are with it, but to each there own.

They are sturdy (we have one) but I saw the same thing you did.  The tips wear out quickly.  The only reason I bought one was for a 10mm extension.  Otherwise, I would buy the Tusk (or 3 of them for the same price as a Hammerhead)  You'll find negative reviews about the Tusk, too, but this is a high wear part.

Also, I read this following review on Rocky Mountain, which I had not thought of, but makes sense:

Let me start by stateing that i baught a bike with this shifter installed already. This shifter is pretty well designed and holds up pretty good to intense outdoor riding. Im a b class hare scramble rider so no riding too terribly fast or "dangerous". I recently took a bad spill on a harder surface and fell on the left side of the bike. Well the shifter fared awesome. However, the shifter shaft nor the crank case did. The shifter bent the shift shaft against the case which in turn chunked a piece of case out. Now I don't know about you but replacing a 40 dollar shift shaft and a 400+ set of crank cases over a shifter holding up is rediculous. I personally will not be replacing the shifter with a new one because a: the shifter is still good and b: I want one that will break and not break other stuff that cost almost 10 times to replace. Just a thought.

• Like 1

I could see that happening, but as with everything else, It may have happened with the stock shifter, no way to tell. I will say that my son has bent a shift shaft with a stock shifter. He didn't break the case but he snapped the part inside the motor that the shift shaft attaches to. Don't remember what it was called. I guess it's just part of the game if you have big feet.

I run hammerhead shifters and brake pedal tips on both my bikes. They are a solid product. The shifter tips wear fairly quick like others have said. I think part of that is my boots have metal tips on them so that beats on them more so. Overall I'm happy with them and would buy again.

• Like 1

I have a shifter on backorder, but I don't recommend getting any of their master cylinder covers since the fit is terrible. The back one is too small and makes me think it'll leak, and the front is a bit too big, but it's better than the back.

I bought one after I bought a new set of the Oneal hinged boots. I was having trouble getting my foot under the shifter so I ordered one with a +10 mm shifter head. It works pretty good and I have 30-35 hours run time on it. Some crashes too but I probably just got lucky that it didn't break even though I seem to break everything else.

I like them cause you can order them larger or smaller for feet size.  I managed to bend my hammerhead shifter in a small tip over, so they are not that durable.  Better than stock for sure.  The Tusk rear brake pedal is the same, just says tusk on it.  I had hammerhead on my yz & tusk on my zuk & I can't tell the difference.  

I had one on my yz, had a small tip over, and I thought I was fine till I just went to replace everything and realized my shaft was bent clear back!

Replaced now and I have a sunline shifter on now, would rather have a shifter that costs $30 snap or bend then cause me more trouble(in my case, not more money as shift shaft is only $25)