Sign in to follow this  

New problems with the ds80

Got it all back together with the new kicker and shaft. So I started it and the engine revs like crazy. I turn the idle down and then it wants to stall. Nothing in between. It also is super weak on low end

Power but then screams when it gets to mid/top end power. Carb was totally cleaned and everything

Is stock. Any ideas what it could be?

sounds like an air leak check around the intake boot for anything obvious also check your carb for leaks on the top and on around the float bowl, the only legit way to tell is to make a pressure tester it's not that hard, there are instructions online.  It's not gonna run properly unless you find and seal the leak, you're compensating right now by shutting the air idle screw but the leak is still allowing air into the engine at varying amounts and you're not getting proper air/fuel mixture so your bike bogs out in the beginning because you have too much fuel not enough air since you turned your air idle screw down, then as the rpms rise up and the air leak becomes stronger due to the intake pressure of higher rpms  you then begin to lean out your engine with too much air and not enough fuel. The engine has to be legitimately sealed for it to last and run properly and half assing with it and you'll have a blown motor in no time

the other method is the wd-40 or carb cleaner spray around the engine and check for rpm spurts but this is usually done during an idle and when you are idling the air leak does not show it's self in it's full potential. The pressure tester method works because it will be obvious if your engine isn't holding a single PSI your seals or cases are most likely blown or if it's holding pressure and you lose  psi pressure slowly you spray soapy water or bubble making liquid all around the head gasket, spark plug washer, base gasket intake boot and exhaust plug then watch for the bubbles and that's exactly where you're slowly losing

Edited by 78SuzyQ

Before I rebuilt mine, I used the pressure test method and found a leaky clutch side seal (it was completetely failed) and a leaky carb flange.  Mine was doing the exact same.

man I hope its not the clutch side...I yanked the stator side out and am waiting for the new seals to come in....I just replaced the kickstart shaft! errrrrrrrrrr......