Sign in to follow this  

anyone have Xtrig triple clamp on a honda?

Just recieved my xtrig kit today, but noticed the stem assembly does not have threaded provision for the stock steering stem adjusting nut (that large spanner looking nut that sits under the stock upper clamp.) The instructions included make no mention of this nut. Wondering if this is the wrong clamp assembly in the correct box...

Just recieved my xtrig kit today, but noticed the stem assembly does not have threaded provision for the stock steering stem adjusting nut (that large spanner looking nut that sits under the stock upper clamp.) The instructions included make no mention of this nut. Wondering if this is the wrong clamp assembly in the correct box...

does it have a pinch bolt?

does it have a pinch bolt?

Thanks for the reply, yes there is a stem pinch bolt, but no torque specs on the upper clamp nut, it just says "tighten to adjust the desired bearing clearance" which is probably translation for tighten to factory preload specifications. the factory spanner nut under the upper clamp gets seated with 22 ft lbs backed off and final to 5 ft lbs for bearing preload, then the upper clamp top nut gets a beefy 80 lbf ft. thats alot different than just taking out bearing slack and snugging down a pinch bolt, (I know other brands probably use this method, ktm right?)  Also if the old spanner nut is removed for the new clamp, shouldnt there be a spacer in its place thats a thick hunk of metal. Id probably feel a little better about this installation with model specific instructions or even just an included model difference notation. They have good customer service so Ill get in touch with them today and will post up what the install method is for these crf with the xtrig. Racer x had a video of a crf with an xtrig, but I couldnt see under the top clamp well enough to notice if they used any spacers.

There isn't a spacer. Just the rubber o-ring that comes with it. The steering stem nut and the pinch bolt hold it together. Tighten the stem nut until the free play is gone then tighten until you get the feedback in the handlebars you like. Don't have to tell you the tighter the stem nut the more wear on the bearings.

There isn't a spacer. Just the rubber o-ring that comes with it. The steering stem nut and the pinch bolt hold it together. Tighten the stem nut until the free play is gone then tighten until you get the feedback in the handlebars you like. Don't have to tell you the tighter the stem nut the more wear on the bearings.

Thanks phider, I do notice that the xtrig upper clamp is thicker than the stocker so that will take up some of the difference, when I get the stock clamp and spanner nut off the old stem I can measure their combined size and compare. Currently it looks like there will be a few mm's difference to take into account. The only issue with this I can think of is remembering to make this allowance when setting fork height at upper triple clamp. If it does turn out there is a significant difference, I think I would prefer a spacer under the clamp (if the stem is long enough) 

There isn't a difference. Just set the fork height at whatever you had it at before. The top clamp is thicker because there isn't a castle nut. Think about it; a company that sells 800 dollar triple clamps probably engineered them correctly.

There isn't a difference. Just set the fork height at whatever you had it at before. The top clamp is thicker because there isn't a castle nut. Think about it; a company that sells 800 dollar triple clamps probably engineered them correctly.

I finally had a chance to get the micrometer out a check the stock upper clamp with the xtrig clamp. Im showing 32.41mm for the stock height of the stock upper clamp and spanner nut (that sits on the bearing dust seal under the upper clamp )together, and 28.78 for the thickness of the xtrig clamp. So if the xtrig was intended to be installed without a spacer under the clamp, your upper clamp surface will now be about 3.6mm lower than the original stock clamp. The Honda manual makes no allowance for fork height changes on the 14 crf450 p.138 "the position of the fork tube in the clamp is not adjustable". 

I dont know how much 3.6mm would affect handling, but at this clamps price Id expect it to fit within .5mm from stock. I have to guess that a spacer should have been included in this kit.

Had a chance to talk with an Xtrig rep. who was not aware of the height difference between the stock clamp and the xtrig clamp. This installation does not use a spacer. If you were to bolt your forks to the xtrig in the same manner as you used to bolt them to the stock clamp your forks would be (by my measurement-not xtrigs) about 3.5mm lower than stock setting.  Riders and race teams will likely figure this out as they test and tune (I notice the xtrig clamp on the racer x video has the forks slid up in the clamps back to around probably where they would have been stock)  Dont take my word for it, measure your own stock and aftermarket clamp set ups and see if there is a difference that you'll have to account for during installation. I did mention to my rep that it would assist the customer in set up, if they could note in the instructions about how to obtain a fork level equal to stock setting.  Beautiful clamp though.

Edited by pieplatesnductape

Had a chance to talk with an Xtrig rep. who was not aware of the height difference between the stock clamp and the xtrig clamp. This installation does not use a spacer. If you were to bolt your forks to the xtrig in the same manner as you used to bolt them to the stock clamp your forks would be (by my measurement-not xtrigs) about 3.5mm lower than stock setting.  Riders and race teams will likely figure this out as they test and tune (I notice the xtrig clamp on the racer x video has the forks slid up in the clamps back to around probably where they would have been stock)  Dont take my word for it, measure your own stock and aftermarket clamp set ups and see if there is a difference that you'll have to account for during installation. I did mention to my rep that it would assist the customer in set up, if they could note in the instructions about how to obtain a fork level equal to stock setting.  Beautiful clamp though.

Just curious what made you want to put an xtrig on your crf?

Just curious what made you want to put an xtrig on your crf?

Cockpit feels a little cramped in stock position to me, and I noticed the xtrig had loads of bar position adjustment,  rubber mounted bars, not to mention the ability to switch up the fork offset if desired from 20 to 22 

Cockpit feels a little cramped in stock position to me, and I noticed the xtrig had loads of bar position adjustment, rubber mounted bars, not to mention the ability to switch up the fork offset if desired from 20 to 22

If its a 9+ go with the 22.

• Like 1

hi, were u buy it and how much u paid?? Thanks

hi, were u buy it and how much u paid?? Thanks

Contact Dave at Smart Performance. I just put an xtrig on my yz. Love these clamps. They're not cheap at around $800.