Sign in to follow this  

CRF250L Neutral Safety Switch?

I've been playing around with my clutch lever (replacing broken with new) and now my engine cuts out when I shift from neutral into 1st.

I dumped my bike before the winter and it's been sitting in my garage since. Now the weather is nice and I bought a replacement shift lever and clutch lever, along with hand guards. I've have attempted replacing my clutch lever with two different after market levers, which didn't fit properly. After each attempt I would put the broken oem lever back on. Last weekend, I rode my bike around my house no problem. Today, I tried my second lever and notice the problem after, which leads me to believe what ever happened has happened today.

Any suggestions/ideas?

you can put the bike into gear with out the clutch pulled... lol  it happens...  but if the kickstand is down that is when the  bike will stall putting it into gear... if the kickstand is up, well then like positron said, you should be looking at the kickstand i would think...

in gear with kickstand down it wont start even if clutch is pulled

in gear with kickstand up it will start only if clutch is pulled

in neutral it will start with kick stand down and clutch NOT pulled

with bike running in gear and clutch pulled, if kickstand goes down bike will die

Edited by eyeopenher
  • Like 2

I am having a slightly different issue after my bike decided to make love with a tree.

Won't start in gear with clutch pulled. I need to check the switch in the clutch.

• Like 1

I am having a slightly different issue after my bike decided to make love with a tree.

Won't start in gear with clutch pulled. I need to check the switch in the clutch.

the 2 wires that plug in to the clutch switch looks like a weak link....  especially with a tree grabbing like your did...   your bike was like  :awww: with the tree...  hahaha

Edited by eyeopenher
  • Like 2

The wires appear fine, must be the switch or possibly fuse.

Haven't had a chance to check those yet.

• Like 1

Just thought I should give you guys an update.

As predicted it was an issue with the switch in the clutch lever but the switch was fine the problem was the lever was slightly bent which meant the lever was bottoming out on the grip before the switch was triggered.

Solution: New clutch lever. :)

• Like 5

Just thought I should give you guys an update.

As predicted it was an issue with the switch in the clutch lever but the switch was fine the problem was the lever was slightly bent which meant the lever was bottoming out on the grip before the switch was triggered.

Solution: New clutch lever. :)

are you going with a "shorty"  

Those ASV clutch perch and lever assemblies are cool ... just have to disable the switch wiring.

Yeah might just do that. I don't need no dumb safety switch in the clutch.

I wouldn't remove the switch in the stand though, that is actually pretty bloody important.

Edited by Positron007
  • Like 3

Personally, I removed the kickstand switch and wired the 2 wires together as this has caused me a pain in the ass on my Hornet, sooooooo, also, the 2 wires on the clutch, if a question about these, wire them together also. I mated a new lever and they didnt match up, sooooooooo. All these safety switches, to me, are a PITA! But this is me, keep it simple and there are no worries if out in the jungle!

• Like 3

I wouldn't dare take off the stand switch on my bike, I often hit small jumps at speeds over 50mph, if the stand came down and I didn't know about it I would be a dead man without it.

I wouldn't dare take off the stand switch on my bike, I often hit small jumps at speeds over 50mph, if the stand came down and I didn't know about it I would be a dead man without it.

Wouldn't your forward momentum just kick the stand back up as long as the spring didn't break?

I'm thinking of removing my side stand switch because you can tilt the bike on the stand to lube the chain super easy with the engine running.  Saw the local dealer do this last year and now I want to lube my chain like this.  Lube after you ride, not before you ride too.  That will cut down on lube flying all over the place.     

• Like 1

When you potentially only have inches between going off a cliff, hitting a tree, a car, boulders, etc, and you need to make a left hand turn to avoid those things, having the stand down is enough to upset the bike that you are not going to make the turn.

It really depends on the type of riding you do.

• Like 1

some of the hard core enduro bikes with side stands also have a little rubber/elastic bungie safety straps. Unless it was a mod the guy did on hid Berg where I ride ... it looked factory tho ....  :excuseme:

Ktm have a completely different stand design which makes it impossible for the stand to come down after going off a jump.

clutch switch, not important...   the kick stand switch is how i shut off my bike!!! lol  i wouldn't know what to do!!!! lol

i never touch the red ignition switch button... and the key is only used to start the bike, or lock the stem....  

that's just my side of things...

• Like 3