crank position sensor

I checked the key its there and everything is in line. This bike has been down for 4 months and been to 3 mechanic shops. This is the first guy to say ignition problems everything else in the bike is new piston,cylinder,crank,valves,and timing chain and its got a good blue spark.

How did you check the key? How does he know it's "firing on the down stroke"? If crank is properly aligned and spark is good my bet is a fueling issue. I suppose if stator/etc parts were swapped in from a different year bike that could result in a spark timing issue, but I don't know squat about any ignition/stator configuration changes on those older bikes.

I will assume that all 4 valve clearances are good.

Edited by Eddie8v

I pulled the flywheel the key looked good and it was in the slot. I don't know how he determined the spark was on the down stroke. he just told me he was pretty sure it was the cps. The vales clearance is perfect. I tried another carb off a running bike no change. it runs but want idle you have hold it about half throttle to keep it running. It sounds like the motor is laboring like struggling. to role over.

It has a manual tensioner. that's what happened to it to begin with the tct failed anf it jumped time bent intake valves. So while i was in there i put new top end and a manual tensioner.hasn't been right since

Never hurd of that but i know my cam lobes are pointed back towards the intake. could it have just moved a little bit and still be tight?

Check the cam timing vs flywheel marks, you'll know instantly. You need a degree wheel setup. Edited by Eddie8v

And on clutch side there's another hole u have to line up the notches. Plus make sure your cam is lined up properly. Same thing happend to me when I first had to time mine after bore kit but then I found out about the spark timing and that was the issue