Sign in to follow this  

Rm 250 piston rings help

Im looking at a 93 rm250 for 400$. The guy said it starts and runs but needs new rings. How can i tell if thats the problem when i go to look at it? It looks pretty clean from driving by, way cleaner then my 400ex. And just dont feel like i should pass up a 400$ 250. Im not good with diagnostics, i can just manage to fix my stuff myself so any help is appreciated.

at  400 dollars it worth it as you maybe lucky and just need to put a fresh piston kit in it. personally id budget for a full rebuild though. a compression test will reveal wether the rings are worn to a certain extent. threres little point in fitting rings. once the barrel is off you may aswell fit a new piston, little end/rings and base gasket, (the stuff you you get in a piston kit) not expensive. does the bike run?

Yeah the guy said it runs just needs rings and a front break lever. So ima look at it friday, maybe buy it, order a top end kit , hopefully the cylinder isnt to bad

if the rings are worn the compression will be lower the bike will be harder to start and the rings won't squish the 2 stroke oil down towards the crank so you'll have a lot of carbon on the top of the piston and the plug will foul