Sign in to follow this  

Engines Only PoweRing

Any chance anybody has tried one of these?

CRF and XR 80, 100, 150, 230, 250 and 400 PoweRing.
Includes all hardware for easy bolt on installation.
This exhaust end fits on your stock XR or CRF pipe in place of the stock baffle. Increases power by being less restrictive than the stock baffle. No drilling or cutting required, it bolts right on. 
Remove your baffle and mount a less restrictive EO PoweRing.
Our 12 plate exhaust is adjustable to meet AMA and CA 96db noise requirement.
Plate type spark arrestors disperse noise radially for quieter operation and avoid the clogging of screen type spark arrestors.
Increased performance and an inexpensive alternative to high priced "Exhaust Systems".  Now only $124.95 Power-Ring_small.jpg

I had one on a Suzuki DR. I didn't like it. It was really loud for the rider. A regular pipe ports the noise rearward. This ports out radially, including upward toward the location of your head.

I think those parts are only about $50 at XR's only (not crfsonly). Do a search on Google. I swear I just saw that about a week ago.

I have seen those used before and they usually burn/ melt/discolor the rear fender unless you purchase an additional shield that directs the exhaust away from the fender areas.

IMO: they are too loud.

Stock muffler is heavy but sounds great with this simple and inexpensive addition:

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1401378347.988602.jpg

• Like 1

And my mod to a CRF250X muffler (on a XR218).  Used a section from a 1 1/2" sink trap, expanded the 1 1/2" section to 1 1/2" ID to fit the muffler exit pipe.

250X Muffler.jpg

Edited by Chuck.
  • Like 1

where did you get that turndown? easy to install?

Exhaust tubing. Bulk U bends

Cut to length, drill hole to match original screw hole. 5mm screw, nut and a drop of blue locktite.

Sounds like a 250 when completed.

Chuck's chrome plating probably boost horsepower by 15% over the non chrome version. Everybody knows chrome adds power.

Ya but mine be made out of stainless

And don't need no bling to to be maken ton-O- power when I rev it on up there....so there!!!!

Lol

Exhaust tubing. Bulk U bends

Cut to length, drill hole to match original screw hole. 5mm screw, nut and a drop of blue locktite.

Sounds like a 250 when completed.

Thanks! I need to do something so to move the exhaust away from the turn signals on my street legal CRF230F. Plus, I know a turned down exhaust quiets the exhaust note... something I'd like to do for street use.

I know I can measure it, but do you happen to remember the exact size of tubing you used? 

Finally have one on the way...

So you're goin' the PoweRing route on this thread you started? I'd like to know if/how you mod or remove inner core packing with it. Do more SuperTrapp discs make it louder or quieter? Could you shorten, cut reweld the stock can AND quiet it down with the PoweRing? Prob would melt the side panels then huh?

I'm only asking cuz I'd love to find a way to LIGHTEN that huge stinkin' stock muffler WITHOUT more noise, if anything, I'd like it more quiet BUT no loss in hp. I know, asking for a lot...I always do that! Read the new 2015 race thumper MXA, DB tests and it looks like they're doin' it: quiet, more HP than ever! 

So you're goin' the PoweRing route on this thread you started? I'd like to know if/how you mod or remove inner core packing with it. Do more SuperTrapp discs make it louder or quieter? Could you shorten, cut reweld the stock can AND quiet it down with the PoweRing? Prob would melt the side panels then huh?

I'm only asking cuz I'd love to find a way to LIGHTEN that huge stinkin' stock muffler WITHOUT more noise, if anything, I'd like it more quiet BUT no loss in hp. I know, asking for a lot...I always do that! Read the new 2015 race thumper MXA, DB tests and it looks like they're doin' it: quiet, more HP than ever! 

Lots of data here:  http://www.supertrapp.com/resource/faqs.asp and here:  http://supertrapp.com/technology/index.asp

Frank won't have complete systems ready for a while yet so I'm going to start with this.  Very generally speaking:  More disks = more area = more flow = more noise.  Less disks = less area = less flow = less noise.  More disks equals less velocity and more atmospheric pressure affect on the exhaust system (lose bottom and gain top).  Less disks equals more velocity and less atmospheric pressure affect on the exhaust system (gain bottom and lose top).  You may think "backpressure" but there is really no such thing.  In CFD engineering terms that is a really silly thing to call it.  Bring on the hate comments now...

On a dyno we can use the amount of disks to tune to a very specific need.  Ben from Ben's V-Twins here in Charlotte uses a SuperTrapp system on his sleeper HD because he wanted to tune it very specifically on his dyno.  He swears by the design.

SuperTrapp does make a deflector but Frank does not use them as the exhaust temperature is not hot enough to melt anything way back there.  With 12 disks it is compliant at 96 dB.  All stainless steel construction.

We used these systems back in the 70s, 80s, and 90s and most of us liked them.  They flow a lot of air and are not that loud because of the deflection inside the pack.  My buddy had them on his XR600 and my father has them on his SRX600.  They both sound and work great.

When Frank has complete systems ready he will discount the PoweRing from the system price.  This thing also works on the XR250 we have so I'm going to try it on that as well.  I'm just going to bolt it on and go.  Nothing else.  Frank has made a pretty bold claim so I'm going to do a full test and review.  He spends a lot of time on the dyno doing R&D work so I trust his advice and findings.  The main jets he uses with his systems are quite a bit smaller, which tells me his designs work.

FYI Frank is a great guy.  We've been trading emails for quite some time now and he has always been very friendly, knowledgeable, and responsive.  I finally spoke to him in person yesterday and he was a pleasure to deal with.  He should have complete systems available in a few weeks.

Edited by VortecCPI
  • Like 1

We have EO pipes on our 100's and our 150/225F and they have been great. They also pass AMA sound regs for racing.

We did a power ring and jetting on my buddies stock 150F and he was amazed at the difference. Definitely noticeable.

• Like 1

Lots of data here:  http://www.supertrapp.com/resource/faqs.asp and here:  http://supertrapp.com/technology/index.asp

Frank won't have complete systems ready for a while yet so I'm going to start with this. 

You may think "backpressure" but there is really no such thing.  In CFD engineering terms that is a really silly thing to call it.  Bring on the hate comments now...

I'm just going to bolt it on and go.  Nothing else. 

Cool Vortec, I'm lookin' fwd to your full review here soon! Oh does this PoweRing have the 'US Forestry spark arrestor' nomenclature stamped on the end? 

I could roll with your 'back pressure' comment, I mean, a two stroke 'expansion chamber' is really the system that creates it's own 'back pressure wave' to help hold back intake charge air right? Thumper pipes rely on creative control of velocity, which should make them simpler and CHEAPER than two stroke pipes! 

Cool Vortec, I'm lookin' fwd to your full review here soon! Oh does this PoweRing have the 'US Forestry spark arrestor' nomenclature stamped on the end? 

I could roll with your 'back pressure' comment, I mean, a two stroke 'expansion chamber' is really the system that creates it's own 'back pressure wave' to help hold back intake charge air right? Thumper pipes rely on creative control of velocity, which should make them simpler and CHEAPER than two stroke pipes! 

Yes - USFS approved.

It should be arriving within 5 to 7 days.  Looking forward to getting my hands on it.

Frank's (Engines Only) PoweRing and associated parts arrived today.  Well made - Very nice fit and finish.  Got it on in just a few minutes and fired it up.  Unbelievable - Far quieter than the stock system without the baffle.  Sounds just like the SuperTrapp systems of the old days - Beefy but mellow.  Many of the SuperTrapp systems I've heard are quite loud, even with far fewer disks.  Apparently the internals of the stock system knock out a lot of the noise

Seems to have lost a tiny amount of off-idle and low-mid bit the middle feels a bit stronger.  I'm running a 112 main with a Dial-A-Jet at the second richest setting.  I'm going to lean it out a bit as I believe it's now a tad rich on top.

I noticed Frank sent me 10 disks instead of 12 disks.  Maybe 10 disks is all we need for such a small and mild engine?

No problem with the rear fender.  No shield needed.  No melting.  No soot.

I will post again when I have some time to lean it out...

IMG_09421.JPG

IMG_09431.JPG

IMG_09451.JPG

IMG_09461.JPG

IMG_09471.JPG

IMG_09481.JPG

IMG_09491.JPG

Edited by VortecCPI