Sign in to follow this  

Upgrade from xr200

I am in an interesting situation. I bought an XR200 last september on a bit of a rush decision. It was going to be my first bike, and I couldn't wait to get a bike. This being said I bought the first bike within the list of bikes I wanted to buy that I could afford without looking at any others. The bike has been great. It was in near perfect condition, and I haven't had any problems with it mechanically. This has been a great learning bike, and I almost don't regret buying it.

But here's the problem. I am 6'1" and still growing. The bike is tiny for me. I sit all hunched over when I do sit in order the get my weight where I like it on the trails. When I stand I am also in an uncomfortable position. It is just too small for someone my size.The second problem is the suspension is like a pogo stick in the rear. You can also lug this bike so much I feel like I am developing bad habits. This is only my first season on a dirt bike ever, so maybe I am wrong. I would say I am pretty good for my experience. I can keep up with the 10 and 11 yr olds in group who have been riding their whole lives. I am 13. I know that doesn't say much but Its all I have to go by.

So I am looking for a new dirt bike. I want something with good throttle response, something the xr lacks especially in the low end. I also don't need much more power than I had with the xr, but not much less either. I weigh less than 150lbs so don't need much power, but I also won't stay this weight and my skill will leave me wanting more power as I progress. I also want something with better suspension. 

I know I don't want an old style four stroke like the xr, ttr, and crf80/100/230. I think a 250 2 stroke would be too much power. I would look into both 2 and four strokes. Current bikes I am considering are 

wr250f (hesitation is weight),

yz 250f (hesitation is hard starting after stalling on a steep hill)

crf250r/x (hesitation is price, and bad valves. Would have to find one with stainless steel valves)

KDX (possibly too much power. I think I could manage it; Lack of aftermarket parts- esp. cosmetic

125 2t (worried about lack of bottom end, but someone I go with rides a Ktm 105 sx with little problems)

I want more opinions, and am open to more suggestions. I love the snappy 2 stroke throttle of my friends 105 and kdx200. Haven't ridden the more modern style 4 strokes. My price range is 2k or less, but I am not afraid to make people offers, even if the offers are on the verge of a lowball. Thanks in advance

Do not buy any 4strokes of today's age for 2k, you'll be buying junk.

Thee expensive to fix and more expensive to maintain then the 2 smokers.

My votes for a kdx.

If you  could stretch your budget a couple more hundy, I bet there's a KTM 200 with your name on the seat. If not KDX.

Another KDX vote

Kawasaki should still make them ( they would sell thousands )

Ask and ye shall receive. Brand new and you too can own one for around 18 grand.

SEVICE <a href='https://thumpertalk.com/link/click/4521/' rel='nofollow' data-ipsHover-target='https://thumpertalk.com/index.php?app=autolink&module=links&controller=content&id=4521' data-ipsHover target='_blank' rel='noopener' data-autoLink>HONDA</a> KDX 200.jpg

• Like 1

Don't you think a KTM 200 would be too much power? WR's are listed around 2500. I might be able to get one around 2k. KDX seems like the way to go.

Why not a 125 2t? Seems like a good bike for this youngster  :excuseme: ....

Always had a soft spot for the KDX. One of the nicest handling bikes I ever enjoyed even with totally stock suspension. Not silly fast, but fun fun fun. The KTM 200 is lovely. I have a current 300 (2stroke) and the 200 is pokier and snappier than the KDX. I ride with a bloke who has one and it's a hoot. But I suspect the KTM is more expensive creature to maintain than the KDX. 

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I will go for the Ktm or the Kdx. Thats what I was originally thinking. 

Any other votes for the 125 2t? They are so cheap I could afford a bunch of woods mods... the tricky part is selling my bike before I get the next one.

Bro they are cheap for a reason. Someone else has been beating the tar out of it. You are to big a boy for that small a bike anyway. Be patient and wait for the right bike. The 125 will get old quick.

No way! Thats the same thing I have just bigger and with better suspension. Still a pig and it ways too much for the power it produces.