LESS THAN 24 HOURS LEFT TO GET IN ON THIS! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Colorado If moving to CO, where would be the best place for a dirtbiker to move?

Thinking about moving out to CO and wanted to see what areas to focus on.  I'd like to find a moto friendly area with access to good trail riding spots (I don't ride track).  I also ride street so a place where there are some nice scenic roads would be a plus.  I'd like to be in as scenic a place as possible but need access to dependable high speed internet and phone.  Work from home . . . just need to be close enough to a decent size town where I can plug in at one our locations.  Thinking I'd probably rent my condo out and rent out there for a little bit until I figured out where I'd want to settle/buy, and make sure I liked it, before pulling the trigger on a new home or selling my current place.

What would be the best spots to look into?  Heard a lot of good things about Colorado Springs but mostly from people that don't ride, so I can't really trust their opinion all that much!

what city do you live in now in Ca? what are your interests? City life? quiet mountain life? There's ample riding possibilities here, from easy two track to hardcore singletrack.

You pretty much just described the whole state. If I was looking to live somewhere, other than the front range, I would look at Grand Junction or Montrose.

• Like 2

what city do you live in now in Ca? what are your interests? City life? quiet mountain life? There's ample riding possibilities here, from easy two track to hardcore singletrack.

I'm in Chatsworth . . . LA area . . . 20 minutes from Malibu, 30 minutes to Downtown (assuming no traffic).  I'm the weekend warrior type, usually home M-F, then looking to get out, mostly on two wheels every weekend I'm not injured.  Rode about 50 out of 52 weekends each year before knee surgery took me out last year.  I'd prefer more of the quiet scenic, open spaces, type of area, vs. the city or a suburb of cookie cutter track homes, but I need to be somewhat close to civilization . . . need to have reliable/fast internet for my job and being a single guy with very limited cooking skills, I don't want to be so far away from everything that I wither away and become more of a hermit than I already am!!!  I like single track the best, love woods riding, but am by no means highly skilled, so I avoid the ultra gnarly trails or stuff with a lot of cliff exposure.

Edited by schmo

I live in Bayfield, which is east of Durango, in the southwest part of the state.  If I was going to move somewhere in CO just for good riding, I'd probably move somewhere near Grand Junction.  Lots of places to ride close to Grand Junction, Rabbit Valley, Fruita, Montrose.  Moab is close by and there's lots of good riding there.  Hanksville and the Dick Brass Trails aren't much further than Moab and that is some awesome riding.  Swingarm City isn't much further than Hanksville.  The winters in Junction aren't that bad and the riding season is a little longer than some other parts of the state.   Junction is the biggest city on the western slope and it has just about everything that the Denver metro area has.   

No offense to the guy who suggested Gunnison, but that place is way too cold for me during the winter, and the winter lasts too long.  Taylor Park is a beautiful, awesome place, but I'd rather visit it, than live close by. 

So you're a weekend warrior?  If I lived in Denver and had only the weekends to ride in the mountains I would probably stop riding in the mountains.  The traffic heading west on I-70 out of Denver every weekend, summer or winter, is insane.  I lived in Winter Park for 6 years and couldn't believe what people would put up with to get out of Denver for a weekend. 

CO Springs has too many people in it for me, and you'll be sharing those trails with a lot of other people.  

That's my two cents  

• Like 1

I live in the roaring fork valley on the western slope of Colorado. IMO its an incredible dirt bike area and per your description of what you are seeking its right up your ally. I live in Snowmass Village (the burbs' of Aspen) and I can ride from my door to some of the most epic single track in colorado. If I wanna have lunch in Crested Butte via the bike, not a problem. If I wanna rip high country desert in Grand junction it is less than 2 hours away. Some awesome slick rock riding is Moab? thats about 3 and half hours away.  Need to ride MX tracks or hit the AMA Thunder Valley outdoor national to watch well thats 3 hours away. There are great people in the valley, not populated at all, and some kick ass other activities ( incredible fly fishing, 5 ski resorts in the valley, incredible art, incredible food, DH/CC mtn biking, and great hiking) Biking Scenic roads??? look up Independence pass, HWY 133,HWY 550, and any where on the western slope. An incredible amount of great roads and UTAH offers lots of incredible tarmac as well. 

I moved here from Anchorage Alaska and could not be happier. 300+ days of sun are an incredible plus of living here.

You will have to work a bit to ride 50 of 52 weeks in Colorado. but do able if you wanna drive to surrounding states to find dry dirt. 

My 2 cents..

I've been to Gunnison, Crested Butte, Almont area twice this year and just got back from a week of riding out in those areas. Beautiful to ride everywhere around there from scenic highways, to single track. Just remember, dirt bike riding is only done a few months of the year out there as they get lots of snow. Think from June till October. Then it's all snowmobile season. But you can always had a snowmobile kit to your bike to keep the itch scratched. 

Have a look at Salida.  Warmer and less snow than Gunnison, Snow Mass, Leadville and Summit county.  For nearby riding we have dirt roads, forest service and mining roads and single track.  Even some sand dunes and a MX track if you feel the need.  High mountain passes and some lower places in the Bighorn sheep canyon where we can ride when the higher places are snowed in.  Cable and DSL internet are around the town, out in the county you'll need satellite or a mobile hot spot. 

Housing is getting more expensive but it's still cheaper than a lot of places in the state.  

Just don't Californicate the place. 

Edited by flyandride

if your from california don't come to colorado we all hate you

+1 <Idaho>

Anyone know of any good jobs sites to search for local jobs in Colorado?  I spend a lot of time on the big nationwide sites but they are pretty hit or miss.  Specifically I have been leaning toward the Grand Junction area.

High speed internet (Exceed) is available anywhere you have a clear view of the southern sky.  But it's expensive and you only get 25gb per month IIRC. 

Anyone know of any good jobs sites to search for local jobs in Colorado?  I spend a lot of time on the big nationwide sites but they are pretty hit or miss.  Specifically I have been leaning toward the Grand Junction area.

indeed.com will farm from most any site and you can refine to a specific area based on zip code.

So did u move? I'm thinking about moving to grand junction. I want to raise my son in a smaller city, start my business, and ride some gnarly single track. It will be hard to leave my beloved trails in oregon. But gran junction looks so cool but I know looks can be deceiving, any more feed back on life in gj and sweet wooded single track near it?

Retired from California and moved to Colorado. If you would like to be in the suburb of a larger city you might like to try towns just out of Colorado Springs, like Monument or Castle Rock. They are close enough to every thing but not so big you feel like your still in California congestion. Fort Collins is more like Santa Clarita but it seems like the weather there can be a bit colder then the towns a little south of Denver. Spend a month or two here and drive around, tons of different places to see. When you do pull the trigger make sure you find a place facing in the right direction. Ice and snow can be a pain on a driveway if its in the shade all the time. There is a ridding area out of Castle Rock called Rampart that is a little over an hour from Colorado Springs. Its a wooded area you could compare it to a place like Gorman with the feel of Big Bear. PM me if you need any more info  

Edited by smustang

Colorado is closed.....they are no longer allowing anyone to move in.

Please select another state to live in.

Sorry for the inconvience.

Just kidding.

Not really.

• Like 2

Colorado is closed.....they are no longer allowing anyone to move in.

Please select another state to live in.

Sorry for the inconvience.

Just kidding.

Not really.

Noted!!! Packing up the uhaul as I type.