Sign in to follow this  

Stator voltage

Hi all, is there a voltage meter available so I will have an idea when it's time to replace the stator. My buddy said he read online they are available but I can't find any. Thanks in advance.

a constant voltage meter can be had cheaply.. also a multimeter is probably a good investment, ranging from cheap to expensive

Edited by sami12

check out these guys on ebay,,,gammatronixlimited

I used their LED, changes colors depending on voltage, simple easy to install and works for me.

Hi all, is there a voltage meter available so I will have an idea when it's time to replace the stator. My buddy said he read online they are available but I can't find any. Thanks in advance.

$16 and you can actually diagnose electric problems, instead of guessing what the LED's mean:

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-digital-multimeter-with-ac-voltage-detector/p-03482146000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1 

do the 'deep fried stator' tests in the FAQ, if it passes, keep riding. 

The volts will drop on the Meter if the stator starts to go bad correct?

The volts will drop on the Meter if the stator starts to go bad correcM

It will show what voltage the battery is getting from the stator when running also the voltage when the bike is turned off.Mine is 14.6 v to 14.9 when running and 12.7 v when the bike is not running.

$16 and you can actually diagnose electric problems, instead of guessing what the LED's mean:

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-digital-multimeter-with-ac-voltage-detector/p-03482146000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1 

yeah that's handy to mount and ride around with.

the LED lets me know when the stator isn't doing its job so I can get back or at least closer to civilization before battery flames out.

• Like 1

This is handy to have for the charging portion of the stator but it won't give a lot of warning if the signal coil is failing so you could still suddenly get a non running bike.

yeah that's handy to mount and ride around with.

the LED lets me know when the stator isn't doing its job so I can get back or at least closer to civilization before battery flames out.

the small led meter won't tell you if it's the stator, the battery, or the connectivity of the wires between them. but you're right, when the battery goes flat, it will turn into an adventure no matter whats connected to the bike. 

It is handy,if your stator does go bad this will at least let you know when and you can unplug your headlight and head home.Also it will keep tabs on the charging voltage when you run a heated vest so it does'nt deplete the battery too much. :ride:

Is there a certain mileage that the stator should be replaced before it goes bad. My has 4650 miles on it.

Hi I'm new here. Got a quick question. Was riding yesterday and noticed my volts down around12.7 on my drz 400 and it's normally around 14.5 any ideas on what it might be?

Go to the top of the DR-Z400 page and look under DRZ400 FAQ,scroll down to "charging system diagnoses" . :thumbsup:  

Edited by DRZ-Fast-Times