Sign in to follow this  

1990 RM125 fork rebuild question

Hi all,

I'm getting ready to rebuild the front forks from a 1990 RM 125 that I plan to swap to my 1999 DR350SE. The forks seals are leaking and make a squishing noise when compressed so I plan on replacing the seals and bushings with race tech parts but I have a question regarding tools needed and process for rebuilding (which I have never done before.)

The Clymer manual says to "Slide the Suzuki Holding tool (14mm hexagonal socket part No. 0990-187/20) and front fork assembly tool into the fitting on top of the damper rod cylinder. Hold the damper rod cylinder stationary with special tools. Use an Allen wrench then loosen and remove the base valve." I'm having trouble finding the tools, the closest thing I've found is this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Race-Tech-Fork-Cartridge-Holding-Tool-Kawasaki-KX125-Honda-CR250R-Yamaha-WR500-/291145764202?fits=Make%3ASuzuki but it does not mention the 14mm "holding tool." Is this a combination of the two or will I need an additional tool. Also, is there a makeshift alternative so I don't have to spend $60 on a tool I may not need again?

Thanks,
Austin.

Put the allen on an impact wrench and it will loosen right up. No tool needed.

Nope, if you use the same tool to tighten it

Edited by mog