Sign in to follow this  

2012 honda crf450r coolant dropping into engine oil.

I recently purchased a 2012 crf450r from a dealer and have had a pretty bad run.

The bike was in good condition and sold with 20hours on a new full rebuild. Bottom end, piston, valves, guides, cam chain, clutch and gearbox bearings. Less than 5 minutes into my ownership the thing lets go. The dealer advises it was the mains that let go, needless to say I pushed until he have me a new crank, piston and gasket set. I ended up paying for labour and got the bike back.

Less than 20 minutes into this new rebuild, the bike is dropping coolant into the engine oil compartment. I am confused how this is happening and am thinking about fixing this myself as my faith in the local dealer is at an all time low.

Any suggestions about how this could happen? It had a new gasket set so shouldn't be the head gasket but I cannot see any other way for water to enter the engine compartment.

The mains let go?... Time out. They said they replaced the bottom end but didn't replace the main bearings?

That'd be one hell of a half ass job SO them tearing back into the motor and reusing something as simple as the head gasket and that's why it's leaking now dosnt surprise me what so ever going by what you just said. ESP if they were so nice enough to pay for the parts...

Edited by Diggla117
  • Like 2