2009 RMZ 450 Problem

Hey Guys

I got my 2009 RMZ 450 about 3 months ago

Perfect condition

Has run perfect until Monday,It started to hestitate and cough whenever I hit bigger bumps

or whoops

Get it home and It starts and runs perfect on the stand,took it back to the track and it did it again

I can practice starts and its great,first bump and its back to coughing and shutting off

I checked all the plug wire connections,pulled the fuel pump to check the wires were tight

I checked the plug,plenty of spark

Any ideas? this is driving me crazy

Clean air filter,new gas

1. Disconnect your kill switch and see if it continues. 

2. Check you plug boot to make sure it is tight.

3. apply dielectric grease to all your connections. 

If all of those fail... you need to look over all of your wires to make sure none have any rubs. A lot of times the wires rub through and contact when vibrations are excessive.

• Like 1

I had a similar problem and it was my mixture screw rattling out. I put the factory one back in and it solved the problem. Bdub is pretty sharp so I would go with his suggestion too.

2009 is FI. No mix screw

Found the problem

Bdubb,you were right on

I took off the cdi box and on the back of the harness was rubbing and the white wire with blue stripe 

was broke,right at the cdi box

The wire goes to the magneto

I guess its a new wiring harness for me

Thanks for all the advice

• Like 1

No problem... glad you found the problem, sorry it is an expensive one. Hopefully you can find one on eBay or something. The RMZ's seem pretty bad about that. I wrapped all of mine with electrical tape in all places that they come in contact with anything. Might be worth doing... only a few bucks for a few rolls of electrical tape.

• 3 weeks later...