Sign in to follow this  

2002 ktm 400 exc

Here's the kicker my name is ktx 500 just take a guess ill give a hint its a 1986 2 stroke

The 2002 was the single worst year for KTM suspension. I had an 02 400 EXC and it was the worst bike I ever owned. Sold it for a KX250F and never looked back.

Shame your suspension guy was clueless. The WP43mm could be well sorted out for trail riding.

Shame your suspension guy was clueless. The WP43mm could be well sorted out for trail riding.

KTM did a big overhaul of geometries and suspension in '03 for a reason. If you have the opportunity, stay clear of 02 model years.

KTM did a big overhaul of geometries and suspension in '03 for a reason. If you have the opportunity, stay clear of 02 model years.

Since I've owned various KTMs since 1996 I'll have to disagree. The 43mm are easily set up. The 03 forks were absolutely dreadful until they were tuned. 04 they started to get a grip but had that silly 3rd bushing and spacer in them causing additional drag. The 04 and earlier had some flex that was more or less addressed in 05.

I was very pleased with my 02 400 after I tweaked it a bit. The 04 400 I had was a better bike but not by a significant margin. Properly set up the suspension for your weight and riding style and both can be quite good. Actually I had more issues with shocks than I ever did with forks. Also whoever decided to replace the rear caliper with that brake pad eating POS in 03 should be shot.

yep, 02 was a drream compared to 03-04, I liked my 43 and rear too, its all in set-up or if you choose a revalve.