Sign in to follow this  

2014 500exc hot as hell exhaust

Hello all, first off thanks for the wealth of info on TT. I just picked up my 2014 500exc. Im loving it so far, skid plate first, on to gearing, and suspension. I am wondering if the fmf slip-on runs as hot externally as the stock unit. I can understand the header, but the outside of the silencer is screaming. My buddy was admiring it, i could not warn him fast enough to not touch. Any body know if the fmf 4.1 Ti or carbon, alum. Runs a bit cooler. Also anyone ridden downieville ca. 

I think it has to do with the chamber at the back of the exhaust. I think any exhaust with this type of design will run hot. Performance exhausts are typically strait through so they don't heat up much, but quiet exhausts with the chamber in the rear will get hot. Look at the pictures of the internals to see what I mean. I think the FMF quiet exhausts might be a similar design, check them out. Small price to pay for being stealth, and worth it to keep riding areas open!

I rode Downieville last year, great trails and scenery!! I hope to get up there this year as well. Check out the California section, there are a few that might hook up in a couple months.

Funny you mention Downieville. I am heading up there on July 20-27th for the first time. Hear it's great riding which will be a nice change from the Vegas desert rocks.

I rode Downieville last year, great trails and scenery!! I hope to get up there this year as well. Check out the California section, there are a few that might hook up in a couple months.

photo 1.JPGDownieville is awesome.  Couple of legit spots to camp.  Trails are great.  Plenty of spots to go shooting and so on.  I love it up there.  Here is a cool picture of a look out station.

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

• Like 1

Thanks I like how quiet the bike is. The heat is not unbearable, I will look into the quiet fmf slip-ons. Im coming off of an 03 crf 450. Im loving it, total game change. I broke it in at foresthill a few weeks ago, looking to get out again. Even with the dust. 

Well I'm always looking for more people to go riding with. I live in the Bay Area, but like to go to stonyford, Georgetown, forest hill, clear lake... And even like trips to hollister and Carnegie. Anyone have a trip planned to any of these places and want an extra guy or two? I know these areas very well except forest hill, only been there twice.

Chris

You 2014 has the little "sink strainer" baffle in the back of the muffler. The easiest solution is to remove it. It is welded in. I am sure there is a thread on ways to do it.

Other than that, the stock exhaust is a quality part and gives good performance with little noise. It will last forever too. So you really don't have to spend some money to cure the problem. 

Edited by CHILLY
  • Like 1

I just removed the screen on mine with an 1"1/8 hole saw came out easy , but now the exhaust has a pop to like a back fire almost . Does anybody have that problem?

Edited by joedirt1

I just removed the screen on mine with an 1"1/8 hole saw came out easy , but now the exhaust has a pop to like a back fire almost . Does anybody have that problem?

Disable SAS in the right side of your engine. Adust your TPS voltage. Backfiring can be (and is) caused by both.

weird.

I removed my exhaust screen and all my smog stuff a long time ago. Finally adjusted my TPS to .640 the other day and it runs fine but the poping and backfiring on decel is worse.

Did you also remove the SAS equipment? The part that allows fresh air into the exhaust. Fresh air into the exhaust, through this part or an air leak could cause the popping. Is your idle set high? I have zero popping on my 500 after desmog and TPS adjustment so it's odd that yours is worse. Try different TPS settings too.

Hello all, first off thanks for the wealth of info on TT. I just picked up my 2014 500exc. Im loving it so far, skid plate first, on to gearing, and suspension. I am wondering if the fmf slip-on runs as hot externally as the stock unit. I can understand the header, but the outside of the silencer is screaming. My buddy was admiring it, i could not warn him fast enough to not touch. Any body know if the fmf 4.1 Ti or carbon, alum. Runs a bit cooler. Also anyone ridden downieville ca. 

For the most part all mufflers are going to be hot enough to burn you.  You could try an aftermarket muffler, but in general anything available is going to be louder than stock.

You can try adjusting the throttle position sensor voltage.  Although on my 2014, anything over 6.1 caused off throttle flame outs.

To adjust it, you loosen the bolt on the sensor and rotate the sensor with the bike in the on state (remember to enable the kill switch) while measuring the DC voltage between the orange & black wires on the plug.

To get to the wires, you remove the connector to the throttle position sensor.  Push the rubber guard back to show about 3"-4" inches of wire.  Cut a slit in the plastic wire shroud.  You'll see three wires, orange, blue & black.  Tap into the orange & black wires and measure the voltage across them.  To 'tap' into them you can gently scrape off some of the insulation with a knife.

Once done measuring/setting you can use some electrical tape to cover everything back up nicely.  Then push the connector first into the slot in the rubber shroud, then plug the connector into the TPS and pop the shroud over the TPS.

If you have an aversion to tapping into your wire harness, you can buy the tpstool instead.

Scraping the insulation will work, but if water gets into the wires they can start to corrode.  I see it all the time on boats (I'm in S. FL), one little scratch in the insulation that lets water in and over time the corrosion goes through the entire wire. 

the stock exhaust is a quality part and gives good performance with little noise.

Agree on quality and performance. I have no background on the 14s, but my '12 stock exhaust is actually pretty loud. Not as loud as some aftermarkets with db killers removed, but its starting to get louder than I'd like. Definitely louder than when it rolled off the floor.

The 14' is really quiet, the way it comes there's more intake nose than exhaust noise from my perspective. You might just be due for a repack?

The 14' is really quiet, the way it comes there's more intake nose than exhaust noise from my perspective. You might just be due for a repack?

Yeah, was at the dealer today at lunch and a '14 500 EXC on the floor was staring at me and giving me the "you know you want me" look. Looks great and I'm jealous of the guys with the 14s. Yes, probably just need repack for mine. Never repacked a stock can before but it could probably use it.