2014 500exc hot as hell exhaust

My 03' crf450r with a full yosh system was much louder. The power delivery on the 500 is much smoother, and stronger. The 500 is much easier to ride, I wasnt as tired after a good day at foresthill. Next mods are gearing (im thinking 14-50) and suspension from super plush out of san francisco. 

Did you also remove the SAS equipment? The part that allows fresh air into the exhaust. Fresh air into the exhaust, through this part or an air leak could cause the popping. Is your idle set high? I have zero popping on my 500 after desmog and TPS adjustment so it's odd that yours is worse. Try different TPS settings too.

Im not sure what the SAS is. I removed the part that was on the side of the cylinder and put the XC-F bolt in.

I recently bought a used 13 500xcw that has power parts fmf pipe and it just had it finally kick the fan in yesterday after a tech section over logs and such. My buddies 2014 model with sock pipe seemed to run much hotter. I may put on the stock pipe and see of the fan runs more often. Right now I am thinking the fmf pipe runs much cooler.

There is nothing wrong with these bikes having a "Hot Pipe". All four strokes run hot. Run your bike at night and watch it glow bright red. This is a good thing. The only question is are you overheating, loosing fluid, or the fans are running all the time? The KTM stock pipes and mufflers are quality products. They are not that much heavier than a FMF pipe and muffler system. All the manufactures have invested a lot of R&D in the exhaust systems over the last few years, because they know they can squeeze out extra power and improve the emissions in this area. Unless your are racing for money, don't waste your money in this area. Use it for more important things that will make your riding experience better. A Rekluse Clutch system or Bark Busters or other ergonomical items that make the riding more pleasant.

The only downfall to the hot pipe are those darn pesky searing burns. It sucks if your rig falls over. Ktm has made a nice under fender support perfect for gripping and moving your bike when needed. But with the heat coming off the can ouch. ( Dont even think about doing this without a glove). I could see if you were person with small hands, might not be a problem. I love everything about the bike so far. I am sure as time goes on I will modifiy the bike to meet my needs. Personally I love the quiet pipe. Here in CA we need to keep as many riding areas open as possible. 

• Like 2

The only downfall to the hot pipe are those darn pesky searing burns. It sucks if your rig falls over. Ktm has made a nice under fender support perfect for gripping and moving your bike when needed. But with the heat coming off the can ouch. ( Dont even think about doing this without a glove). I could see if you were person with small hands, might not be a problem. I love everything about the bike so far. I am sure as time goes on I will modifiy the bike to meet my needs. Personally I love the quiet pipe. Here in CA we need to keep as many riding areas open as possible.

a little too quiet IMO I hated the wierd air whistle it made lol idk if the 500's do it too