Sign in to follow this  

83 cr 250 into a 84 250r 3 wheeler

I put a 83 cr 250 dirtbike engine in my 250r 3wheeler  .  it worked really well the only problem it pops out of third gear and now it has no 3rd

when its rolling you shift and it feels like the brakes are being applied when ya let the clutch out in 3rd then ya shift to fourth and it operates fine .  the 3rd gear works sometimes when its cold..

3rd needs under cut

Ive got to ask you what do you mean when you say undercut , i have the cases split and if i am not mistaken the fixed gear (centered on the shaft that has two shift forks) is third , one shift fork has a burnished hot spot on it. i will take some photos ,but i really want to fix this and need to find someone that understands this transmission and is willing to explain it thanks for any and all advice ...

When you say that shifting into a certain gear locks up the transmission and skids the rear tire, I'd guess the trans is engaging two gears simultaneously.  So something is wrong with a shift fork or the shift drum. 

it just feels like its binding up like ya have your foot on the brake to just slow it down..  it bounces in and out like your pulling the clutch and releasing it really fast....

it just feels like its binding up like ya have your foot on the brake to just slow it down.. it bounces in and out like your pulling the clutch and releasing it really fast....

You need to split the case to look into it further

Yeah you feel the counter balance not being thier when you ride it . it vibrates a bit

the cases are split and its in pieces on my work bence and all i can see is that one shift fork has a hot spot on it that is blue and a worn spot as well.

Then of course replace that shift fork.  And look very closely at the others.  I think they can sometimes bend outward (more open).  Look closely at the shift fork shafts and the shift drum grooves.

everything seems in order the shift drum is like new all the dogs on the gears seem ok so i am gonna order all three shift forks and put it back together and see what it does hey thanks for your help and advise much appreciated

I would seriously just buy a good used trans on eBay for $115 and if you have the money you can throw in 3 new shift forks. There are so many things that could be wrong in there. Plus good gaskets aren't cheap .