Sign in to follow this  

To trade or not to trade

I've got an 01 drz400e. Lots of stuff done to it, has no issues etc etc. recently I've been riding really right trails and the drz just isn't cutting it, it's just so heavy. When I don't ride those it's great unless I want to jump. Anyway, a guy with a 04 wr450f in slightly better condition wants to flat out trade.. Basically stock. Will I miss the drz?

Here's a pic for no reasonImageUploadedByThumper Talk1401345561.632399.jpg

And it's in better shape than the picture shows ;)

Pic of the WR please , hours , miles .. Maintenance history .

Why does he want to trade

Duh, I thought I posted that stuff. ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1401350180.349560.jpg

I don't know why he wants to trade. Best I can figure is he needs green sticker and this wr is red.. He claims under 40 hours. And yes I'm aware it was just washed in the pictures to make it look shiny. No way to really tell miles but he's telling me like under 400.

Hard to get any maintenance history from anyone.. But he's also saying it's had an oil change per 10 hours. That's not bad as long as it wasn't hard hard 10 hours.

My bike, since I have owned it gets fresh oil per 8-10hrs.

I don't care about the red sticker one bit to be honest. Where I ride it makes no difference and if I decide to ride track alot this isn't the bike to take anyway.

Edited by Joel Tilford

jumping = yes

tight woods = no

go for a xt or dr if you're planning on more tight woods, or even go two stroke. 

go for that 450 if you want to go to the hospital... oops i meant 'jump stuff all the time'

• Like 1

Looks ok from here , obviously it needs a thorough inspection .

They are Solid Bikes .

I had a chance to ride a 03 last time I rode tight trails and it felt amazing.. Just gotta be careful with that throttle I guess

The best part is he's driving to me. So if either decides not to trade it's no gas money out.

The WR will be much better in tight trails.  It's still heavy compared to a 2T, but it's a great all around off road bike.

The WR would be better in both of those situations, but that's considering that the WR is in good shape

For tight woods it's tough to beat a 250 two stroke. Don't get me wrong, I love four strokes and have a couple, but when it's time for tight woods, the smoker is so much easier to get along with. After riding that yellow submarine, you'll feel like you're on a bicycle. 

I had a chance to ride a 03 last time I rode tight trails and it felt amazing.. Just gotta be careful with that throttle I guess

The best part is he's driving to me. So if either decides not to trade it's no gas money out.

If your worried about the throttle, you can always get  a G2 Throttle Tamer.  You have to intentionally roll on more throttle before it'll give you the power.  They're great for keeping the bike under control during those tight and technical sections.

http://www.g2ergo.com/store/g2-dirt-tamer/

The power should be fine. I rode a wr450 and the power seemed very tame to me. As long as you don't just don't stupidly gas it you should be alright

The power should be fine. I rode a wr450 and the power seemed very tame to me. As long as you don't just don't stupidly gas it you should be alright

The question is what year did you ride? 03 and 04 are the most powerful, at least in california. An example is that a 07 is only 42hp and the 03 and 04 are 58. These are Yamaha's own ratings.

The question is what year did you ride? 03 and 04 are the most powerful, at least in california. An example is that a 07 is only 42hp and the 03 and 04 are 58. These are Yamaha's own ratings.

that's probably because they had throttle stops. I know the newer ones do anyway. I don't see how an older bike being the same model would have 16 more hp.

that's probably because they had throttle stops. I know the newer ones do anyway. I don't see how an older bike being the same model would have 16 more hp.

That's bypassing the throttle stop I read somewhere but that person could be wrong. The reason it could be more is it's not restricted by California's emissions regulations and that's why it's a red sticker.

• Like 1

Not to mention I don't even think the YZ 450's of that year had that much power. Closer to 50 I would say. Even the new fuel injected 450 race bikes are between 52-58

Not to mention I don't even think the YZ 450's of that year had that much power. Closer to 50 I would say. Even the new fuel injected 450 race bikes are between 52-58

Well there's at the crank power and rear wheel power. I believe Yamaha's specs are at the crank.

I had a 2001 WR426F and, completely stock, it was rather tame and easy to ride; quite similar to a DRZ400E in power delivery.  Once I uncorked it, jetted the carb, did the "wire mod", and set the cams to YZ timing, it came alive.  Wish I would have kept that bike:

wr1.jpg

• Like 1

Met him and saw the bike. It really was pristine and I figured I can always sell it for more so I trade. Goodbye drz for now(well, that drz, I wouldn't get rid of ALL my drz400's)

This Thing is barely showing wear on the frame where boots rub. It's awesome.

• Like 2