starter bike

Hi just wanted to know what is best suited for a beginer 41 year old? My height 5'9, weight 220 I know the 4t bikes are easier to learn compared to 2t bikes but the cost of parts on a 4t bike scares me. Would a 125 2t bike be too small? Any feed back is much appreciated.

From researching I know the four strokes are a lot more beginner friendly. My concern is since im buying used I don't know what to really look for as far as any hidden problems with a four stroke motor. I hear they can become pretty pricey to rebuild and maintain compared to a 2 stroke. By no means would I buy a 250 two stroke as a first bike but I would like to work my way up to one though. would a 125 two stroke be too small for my height and weight?

I guess my next question would be do you have to rebuild 4 strokes all that often? every couple years or so? I am looking in the price range of about $3000.00 so I figure something around the years of 2003-2008 depending on price is where ill be at. I am leaning toward a two stroke cause theyre lighter, easier ,and cheaper to rebuild if I had to. I am not looking to start a debate on which is better 2 or 4 stroke bikes just want someone one to give their honest opinion on which is the better route for me to go so I can start enjoying riding a well suited bike given my lack of experience and my height and weight. Thank you in advance! :ride: 

KDX220, KTM200<-- 2T's   XR250, XR400, WR250,  CRF250x<-- older ones had valve problems. IMHO I wouldn't suggest an mx bike to start.  The bikes I listed, especially the XR,s are very low maintenance compared to an mx bike. WR's and CRF's will need valve adjustments from time to time but the XR, change the oil and air filter as needed and ride. The mx bikes also have very stiff suspension that you will not like for trail riding. The KDX and the KTM will have better suspension than an XR. I'm sure others with more experience will have suggestions soon.

Edited by Alabama

IMHO, 125cc 2Stroke is not very good for trails and not very good to learn how to ride. It's ok on mx track but if you want to trail ride I would start from something different. XR250, XR400 are good for that, a bit heavy and not the best suspension but it's enough and they've got bottom end power, especially xr400 which will make the bike easier to control until you learn how to ride. A 2 stroke like KDX220 has bottom end power but also has that violent hit at the top unlike xr250/400 which are pretty linear, so even though kdx is lighter and handles better it will be more tiring to ride until you learn. Plus XRs are proven to be very reliable

Once again thank you for taking the time to help out a newbie . After talking to a buddy and doing a lot of research I hear a Yamaha 250 wrf would also be a good starter bike for trail riding mainly. I found one for sale used asking $3,300.00. Seems a little high considering its a 2003 but it only has 600 miles or so on it. Is this a good deal and are there any common issues whis this particular year and make? Ive also found a few Honda 230 crf around same price range maybe a little less.

WR250F is a good bike to start with.  I see you are in Canada....so i dont know the going rate, but here in the states you should be able to find an alum framed WR250F (maybe and '07 or '08) for 2500-$3200....not sure how that translates to Canada.  I would hold out for the newer alum frame version (first year 2007) or at least look for the last of the steel frames '06).