Sign in to follow this  

manrack case armor bits; question

Ordered up those metal plates you fasten to your cases to keep the shifter and brake lever from puncturing the cases. They did not come with a means of attaching them nor instructions. I have a couple ideas of what to use but thought I'd run it by you folks.

What do you prefer to use to attach these metal bits?

Silicone is the method i`d use.......some people use JB WELD.......but silicone is flexable,is a great adhesive and is cheap and easy to deal with...

It also provides a little cushion,,you put it on with silicone,,its not coming off..

B

Thanks Brian. I was leaning towards silicone. Also have trim tape, very aggressive adhesive and have a bit of polyurethane construction glue I just used to repair the gate that is a candidate (but seems too hard, I like something with some flexibility for the engine).

Ron

Thanks Brian. I was leaning towards silicone. Also have trim tape, very aggressive adhesive and have a bit of polyurethane construction glue I just used to repair the gate that is a candidate (but seems too hard, I like something with some flexibility for the engine).

Ron

i ended up using 3m double sided tape. i had problems with using epoxy. it wouldnt handle much heat. the tape has been on for quite a long time now  with out any problems.

Double sided tape would not be on my radar. Very interesting. First blush, I would have suspected the tape would have less a chance with the heat than the epoxy.

I used JB weld to attach my plate. JB weld will handle the engine heat the weather and pretty much anything else you can throw at it with out worrying about the plate being ripped loose. The trick is to let the glue thicken some before attaching the plate, that way your not sitting there for an hour while the liquid weld sets up.

I used 100% silicone like mike from manracks suggests and I can guarantee they aren't going anywhere. You need to score both surfaces a bit though. And line everything up where you want it before you break the seal ok the silicone. Lots of masking tape and let it set for about 24 hours. Keep in mind while that silicone is still wet gravity will pull those plates down so set them a hair high unless you use a ton of masking tape. Hope this helps

I had some HD construction adhesive left over from a project so I used that. Did not score the surfaces (dang! should have thought of that myself) but did clean them. Did use masking tape to hold it. Guess we'll see how she holds up.

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/pl_ca_prem/overview/Loctite-PL-Premium-Polyurethane-Construction-Adhesive.htm