Plastics for TT600 K / L etc?

Anyone know of a NOS or very good used front fender and headlight surround for a TT600 (1983-86). Same as those on same year XT500's possibly...

So far all I've found is some guy in Germany selling GRP replica front fenders for crazy money (like more than the NOS ones that occasionally show), and a dealer on eBay in Italy who has NOS headlight surrounds but refuses to send anything except by Spedizone post at about double express tracked post prices.., (eg €90 to Australia).

Help appreciated.

Also looking for a good OEM speedometer and ignition switch.

They are the same units as those found on IT490's and 200's etc but not easy to find in going order. I've already been through the same search for those parts on my IT200L, and I did eventually get them, but now I need another set!

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help.

Well I found a new ignition switch in the UK on eBay, so that's one thing less!

Still need those plastics and a speedo. Don't care if the speedo doesn't go, as long as it's the correct part and cosmetically OK,

Edited by mungus

Have you tried ALL the Major Wreckers in AUS ?

Pretty much. One here in Melbourne had one, but despite his sales pitch to the contrary it was buggered (several big cracks and completely chalked).

I put out a search request on the wreckers network too but no decent responses. A couple of spivs claiming they had one, but it turned out they didn't...

(one guy thought the TT used a YZ front fender with no louvres, sad to say there are lots of ignorant wreckers around IMHO).

I have found a 2nd hand one in the USA that may be restorable but we'll see.

Mine is buggered, broken in 2 places, stitched back with zip ties by the previous owner. I like my bikes immaculate so that just wont do... :-)

Edited by mungus

Nah, not really into buying a whole bike just to get a couple of 2nd hand plastic parts... ?

If I had lots of spare $ and space I might consider buying it as a parts pig.

But I am fussy and my bikes are get restored pretty much to show quality, and so no dodgy plastics are accepted.

That bikes ad says the plastics are scratched so they wouldn't be what I am looking for.

Strange though how no TT600's are around when you are looking then a couple appear at the same time and don't get many bids on eBay! Theres a few on there right now, none too pricey either... Thanks for thinking of me though. Appreciate it.

I still have that "findapart" search request out there though, so ya never know.

Yes that's a nice one, just over at Flowerdale too...

But have one now and plus I wanted the DLS front brake for the race class. A disc would put me against much faster bikes than my old body can handle!

I raced against TT600's in the mid 1980's. Always liked the sound and big powerslides they could do. So I thought I'd add one to the fleet.

I dont know how bad shipping is from USA, but Ebay seller "YAMAHA NOS PARTS" has front fenders, brand new OEM for $33.99.....Hope that helps. Sorry dont know how to cut/paste. I've purchased a fender for my IT200 from him and service was great. Ships from Pennsylvania, east coast USA

Edited by ickfinger

That's Speed & Sport in PA. They don't have any NOS front fenders for TT600's. I deal with them quite a bit on other VMX stuff and have done for a few years, and yes they have rear TT600 NOS fenders but no fronts... I have just bought one of their NOS TT600 rear fenders - perfect! 

To my knowledge the only NOS front fenders they have for the Yamaha dirt bike family those years are the IT type (blue not white and no cooling louvres).

Funny thing is some guy in Germany is asking $150 for GRP replica white TT600 rear fenders, when just as you say NOS ones are less than $40!

I have noted that all his stuff on eBay is way overpriced IMHO. Like several times what others ask for the same stuff. He wants $200+ for his GRP front fenders. Forget it!

And being GRP they wont take a decent crash either... Side panels and even shorty rear fenders are OK, but a front? Forget it! They're toast!

BTW there is a bloke in Melbourne on the IT forum who makes beautiful replica GRP panels for IT's. Just the most terrific finish and not too expensive either.

But for now its 1983-86 TT600 stuff I need. I am looking at buying a 2nd hand front fender in the US now, so I'll see how that goes. NOS headlight surrounds do seem to pop up now and again, so that's not such a problem.

Meantime the speedo is hard to find. The next later models of TT600 have an XT/DT type speedo with an odometer, that's much easier to get, even MCS accessories make a nice copy. But the K/L models use the much rarer IT490/200 style speedo. If anyone knows of one, please drop me a line. Even if its no longer working (many don't by now), as I've successfully cut one open, had the mechanism repaired and then glued the back on again (invisible) for my IT200. 

Any help most appreciated... :ride:

Edited by mungus

H I  i HAVE A FRONT FENDER for your tt 600. A stock 0ne.   Not sure your much cost to ship from the usa. ED

Great. Thanks for replying.

Any chance of some photos and a description of condition, etc? Got a price in mind? Perhaps a PM is best to handle the sale?

I did manage to buy a 2nd hand OEM fender off eBay last week, but if yours is good I may well buy it, just as a spare.

US shipping costs more than anywhere else I buy parts, except maybe Italy.

USPS First Class is cheapest, followed by Priority Mail Intl. Probably around $30-50 for first class I would expect.

I buy quite a few parts ex USA and the other options like FEDEX or UPS are just crazy.

If you have dimensions you can find out how much on the USPS website. I'm away right now so I cant nip out to my barn and measure the old one, otherwise I'd tell ya!

Best to wrap it in bubble wrap then cover it with something like a plastic rubbish bag with some tape. Keeps size down and prevents  most damage.

The only other effective way is a custom made box. Better protection but a bit more hassle with a box cutter to make one etc.

Anyway thanks again.

Edited by mungus

H I  i HAVE A FRONT FENDER for your tt 600. A stock 0ne.   Not sure your much cost to ship from the usa. ED

Yo, Ed...any chance you have the side plastics for a tt600 also? I just got ahold of a fender, but the sides are really hard to come by...

Tim

Tim, UFO make excellent TT600 side covers. They look just like the OEM type, no one bothers trying to find OEM ones because of these.

Here is one link to some for sale;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UFO-YAMAHA-TT600-1984-1992-SIDE-PANELS-2810-/280400922675?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item4149328833

There is also a guy in Australia operating a TT600 parts website who has sent the TT600 headlight surround to a plastics manufacturer to see about getting new injection molded ones made (like the shiny OEM ones, not the orrible DC Plastics stuff).

• Like 1