Sign in to follow this  

Yamaha WR200 powerband too "on/off"

Hello All,

As of late I've been using my trusty WR200 a lot more and I'm feeling the powerband is much more on/off than it used to be.

This is a 1992 Yamaha WR200 with an FMF Gold Series Fatty pipe and silencer.

I've owned it since 1996 and I know the reeds haven't been changed since then and as far as I can tell no adjustment was made to the power valve also.

It used to have a lot more bottom than now, it's behaving like an 80cc.

So, before I start stripping it down, I was wondering if anyone had some ideas/pointers of where to start working on it to give it back a somewhat meatier powerband.

Thanks for any help and advice!!!

Hello All,

As of late I've been using my trusty WR200 a lot more and I'm feeling the powerband is much more on/off than it used to be.

This is a 1992 Yamaha WR200 with an FMF Gold Series Fatty pipe and silencer.

I've owned it since 1996 and I know the reeds haven't been changed since then and as far as I can tell no adjustment was made to the power valve also.

It used to have a lot more bottom than now, it's behaving like an 80cc.

So, before I start stripping it down, I was wondering if anyone had some ideas/pointers of where to start working on it to give it back a somewhat meatier powerband.

Thanks for any help and advice!!!

How many hours on the top end? Sounds like it is shot.

What's your compression?

• Like 1

Not that many.

Top end was changed back in 2009. I know it sounds like a lot but his bike has done maybe 300 miles since then.

Haven't measured the compression. I can try to do that.

Thanks!

Not that many.

Top end was changed back in 2009. I know it sounds like a lot but his bike has done maybe 300 miles since then.

Haven't measured the compression. I can try to do that.

Thanks!

Clean carb, air filter, petcock screen and new reeds. Also clean the whole power valve assembly if you haven't

I bet that will wake the bike up

This bike should be super-smooth and not on-off even with FMF.

As others have said, compression might be low.

Alternatively, fine jet (pilot) might be blocked from sitting too long with no gas flowing through carburettor.

Power valves are electrically/cable type. You might be able to inspect the powervalve operation by revving. PV cover is easily accessible from left side behind cicular cover with two phillips screws.

Edited by Swappa

This bike should be super-smooth and not on-off even with FMF.

As others have said, compression might be low.

Alternatively, fine jet (pilot) might be blocked from sitting too long with no gas flowing through carburettor.

Power valves are electrically/cable type. You might be able to inspect the powervalve operation by revving. PV cover is easily accessible from left side behind cicular cover with two phillips screws.

Check you powervalve cables. Take cover off the left side of the cylinder. There is a hole to align the plastic circular disk that attaches to the cables. Stick a drill bit in this hole to align the disk with the hole and take any slack out of both cables. Then turn both adjusters in 1/4 turn to give a little slack.

• Like 1

Guys, you've been a huge help!

I took my notes and I'm going to follow the advice given over the weekend. :)

I'll post an update early next week. Many many thanks!

Clutch could effect how the power feels too, may be slipping if it hasn't been replaced since you owned it.