Sign in to follow this  

Need help on full top end kit

Hey guys I'm new to the forum. I have an 04 yz250 that ran great the first month I had it, now it has a hard time starting, and is leavin a little bit from the top of the head where the spark plug inserts in. I am guessing it needs a top end. I have looked on rockymountainatv and found a couple kits. Which kit should I get? Wiseco, pro-x or vertex? I do a lot of sand riding and also trails.

• Like 1

Hey guys I'm new to the forum. I have an 04 yz250 that ran great the first month I had it, now it has a hard time starting, and is leavin a little bit from the top of the head where the spark plug inserts in. I am guessing it needs a top end. I have looked on rockymountainatv and found a couple kits. Which kit should I get? Wiseco, pro-x or vertex? I do a lot of sand riding and also trails.

All 3 kits are good. I've used Wiseco for 15+ years now without a problem.

Leaking plug hole has nothing to do with a bad top end.

How many hours on that piston? What's the compression?

All 3 kits are good. I've used Wiseco for 15+ years now without a problem.

Leaking plug hole has nothing to do with a bad top end.

How many hours on that piston? What's the compression?

You're right.  Leaking plug is probably due to the plug not being snugged up.. that happened to a guy I knew, he felt pretty lame when we diagnosed his bike's problem not as ignition failure, but as "Loosened Pluggy Syndrome"

Kits may come with different base gaskets.  Pay attention to thickness and don't change from what you have unless you do it on purpose.

I'm not sure how many hours on the piston or the compression. The guy I bought it from said he just did the top end but who knows. I have tightened down my plug pretty snug. It also doesn't have any power when I do get it to start.

Definitely change the piston no matter what the previous guy told you. I just got done with a full engine rebuild that had "new bearings all around, fresh plating and a new piston" that proceeded to die on me after 4 rides.

No power off the start could be a plugged pilot jet and no power up top could be a sticking power valve or plugged main jet. Hard starting could also be bad reeds or a plugged choke and/or pilot jet.

But try changing out that piston and inspecting the cylinder first. Then move on to the other things. A piston should be the first thing done when buying a new bike.

Ok thanks. I just pulled the carb off and it looked pretty clean already but I'll clean it and then inspect the piston and cylinder. Thanks for all your guys help.

Just an FYI and I see no one else mentioned it but if your spark plug is backing itself out, that is a tell tale sign of detonation.