Sign in to follow this  

Klx Fork Q's

Hey there guys I am new to the forum but have been browsing around for a while this is just my first post.

So I have a 1998 Klx 300r it is plated here in Cali I live in Morgan Hill just 15 mins south of San Jose.

I bought this thing a few months ago to get back into dirt biking from when I was younger. So basically I decided I wanted to get the forks setup and I notice that I have Klx 250 forks not 300 and they aren't USD like the klx 300 forks, also I believe they are older KLx 250 forks too like 94 or 5 or something. Well noticing that made me decide to look at swaps and I see people do the kx fork swap from Klx planet.

My question is can I go newer on the the forks than the recomended 94 year. What would be different if I say go to 2000 forks I know the the fork tube diameter is different but would I be able to use the triple trees from the kx and have it fit? I notice on klx planet he uses his old klx 300 triple trees but I have 250 triple trees where the upper triple is swept back where your handlebars go and I don't want the swept back part Id prefer to change that it is too cramped for me  . oh btw way I am 6'-6'1" 145lbs

any help  would be much appreciated Id hate to order some forks and find I am running into fitment problems.

One of the problems with going to "newer" triples is the diameter of the steering stem where it goes through the bearings. One bearing fits, the other doesn't. I don't know if the stock steering stem would fit into a "newer" set of triples. I wasn't able to remove my stock steering stem. A machinist could make a custom steering stem.

There's a few years in the mid 1990's that have the correct (43mm)KX125, KX250, and KX500forks.

Ride on

Brewster

Edited by brewster

Yeah thats what I figured wasn't gonna work after looking at all balls bearing site it looks like the bearing size for the triples are only the same on the 250 up til 91 but on the 500 says the bearings are the same size all the way to 2004 so maybe I could get some newer triples that way. Not really seeing too much around though at least that looks decent. thanks for your speedy reply looks like Ill be on the hunt for some 43mm forks and newest set of triples I can find!

anyone got anything fitting that descriptiion feel free to send a message my way =) and theres a picture of my ride as she rests

photo 1.JPG