Sign in to follow this  

DRZ IS WOBBLY

why is my 05 drz400S so wobbly?

its got maxxis - maxx cross it tires on her front / back. 85% tread.

anything higher than third gear and it seems like I have to hold on real tight (excessive).

anything passed 100 is not do able... too much wobble.

these are mx tires on fire roads / long dirt road stretches... theyre even wobbly on the pavement.

any ideas?

You must NOT hold tight!

most wobble issue are initiate by the rider....by holding tight!

its not the holding tight issue:P

if I had to hold tight onto anything, itd be my 450

I just dont know whats up with this thing.

heres what I know... the bike sat in one spot in a heated storage unit for a year n a half!

maybe the tires material itself is finished?

*theres no weather cracking or anything*

Ahhh, okay. Yeah, you should be whack it (npi) at 30-35 without wobble.

Check wheel bearings for play.

Check tire pressure.

Check the tick marks on the rear wheel.

Grabbing the front brake and rock the bike back and forth to feel for loose/worn steering stem bearings.

Reset the front end. http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/541732-mx-tech-front-fork-alignment/?p=5163814

imo junk or mis-matched tires can definitely cause stability issues .. ive mis-matched NEW tires that have turned out to be practically unrideable before .. felt like the rim was out of round and the front end squirmed and stuff like that ..

• Like 1

why is my 05 drz400S so wobbly?

its got maxxis - maxx cross it tires on her front / back. 85% tread.

anything higher than third gear and it seems like I have to hold on real tight (excessive).

anything passed 100 is not do able... too much wobble.

these are mx tires on fire roads / long dirt road stretches... theyre even wobbly on the pavement.

any ideas?

Did you ride it before it went in storage,sounds like you have the same tires front and rear....personally I mixed tires a couple of times with no issues right up to 80mph .

• Like 1

no I didnt ride it before storage, I bought it a week after it was out off the first owner. im gonna have to get streetlegal tires soon, all bearings seem to be in good shape. we'll see what happens

and yes, same tires front + rear

Check your fork height. Make sure they're both the same height from the triple clamp. Get your tires balanced. They could be very far out of balance

• Like 1

If you have rim locks on the wheels you will need to balance the tires for sure.  Mine hopped all over the place on fire roads at anything above 35-40 until I balanced them. 

• Like 1

drop the chain and push the pads back into the calipers 1/8" or so, front and rear. spin the tire slowly. if it stops in the same place each time, they need a balance. buy some stick on weights and do it right there. assuming the tire's bead is seated exactly the same all the way around. 

mixed tires means nothing. a 'new' set means nothing. balance means a big stinking bunch of something though. 

• Like 2