Sign in to follow this  

Ktm 350 or 250 sxf?

Hi people I am converting back to orange soon from yellow and would love some constructive criticism on the 350 or 250 sxf

I'm unsure which one to get?

I'm a pretty average rider top intermediate and was wandering if the 350 would be too much for me? The 450 definitely is but I haven't ridden the 350.

Or should I just stick to 250?

Basically whatever I get will be a keeper for a while so technically if your not thrashing a 350 as much as a 250 does it become more reliable and last longer?

I appreciate your views on either model

Thanks

Yeah I fancy a slightly different power curve than the 250, maybe something I can be a bit lazier with instead of full on. So you reckon the 350 is easy to ride then!! I haven't got the balls for a 450 but my 250 I just seem to have it flat out all the time!!

Cheers

They are not lazy easy to ride

Ill start this off by saying I'm a Honda guy and have only ridden one Ktm which was a 2014 350 Sx-f this past weekend. so long story short I rode my two bikes(2013 crf450 and 2014 crf 250) with a moto on the 2014 350 in between. I feel like the 350 motor was AMAZING. it basically was exactly what I though a 350 should be, not a arm yanker like a 450 and not a rev to the moon to make good power 250f, it felt easy to ride like a 450 but out pulled a 250f by a ton. I felt like the 350 has more potential for most people vs a 250f but that's just my opinion. I have trouble going over some of the bigger jumps on my 250f and I guess just have less confidence because the power isn't what a 450 is, but the 350 gave me the confidence to boost some stuff I wasn't doing on my 250f and only on my 450. I like the my KTM experience so much that my 2015 450 will be orange for sure!!

if it matters for reference I'm a bigger guy at 6'2 225 and I'm a mid to upper pack B rider     

Hope this helps

• Like 1

That's exactly the kind of write up I was expecting from someone, you just explained what I want from a 350 and what annoys me about my 250. I hate revving it to destruction on the big tracks I ride. It's like it's gonna explode!!

I've recently just had knee surgery to and am looking forward to electric start so I don't have to kick start a bike.

I want the ability to keep a gear round a track instead of having to go up and down the box like a yo yo!

I sound lazy but I'm not, I'm just looking for a different kind of ride now after surgery.

Many thanks for your reply

Has been very helpful for my decision making process.

Cheers

Im looking to get a new bike coming up too. I have had both 250f's and 450f's and torn between which size to go with this time. Currently on a two-stroke cause of financial reasons. However, was just thinking about it, and since I cant decide I think Ill settle in the middle and get a 350. Will be looking at 2014 and 2015's shortly.

In the past Ive always sided with the 450 thinking it would last longer

• Like 1

Im looking to get a new bike coming up too. I have had both 250f's and 450f's and torn between which size to go with this time. Currently on a two-stroke cause of financial reasons. However, was just thinking about it, and since I cant decide I think Ill settle in the middle and get a 350. Will be looking at 2014 and 2015's shortly.

In the past Ive always sided with the 450 thinking it would last longer

reliability really has little to do with engine size and more to do with design, following mainteneance schedules, up keep, riding ability. 

Deciding on the bike really comes down to how you want to ride, do you want to ride with the throtlle in the 80-100% range to produce power or ride with the throttle in the 40-80% range or the 20 to 60% range. 

With my 250 I always felt I needed more power because I was uncomfortable riding it at full throttle, my 450 was just too much of a beast to tame and I got worn out almost instantly because I was always holding on for dear life. 

I went with the 350 because for me it was the best of all scenarios, it has enough power (50+hp), but the power is manageable and doesn't hit instantly more, it's very stable in all the situations I've thrown at it.  Corners the way I expect it to corner and I can ride it all day long and not get super worn out.  

Edited by ethermal
  • Like 1