Sign in to follow this  

Tire Width for Off-Road Riding?

I have a KTM-300, and I am a portly gentleman (about 250 lbs).  I have been using a fairly wide rear tire for the last couple years (a 130/80-18 maybe).  I originally got it because I thought wider is better, and also it was a great deal.  I will be needing new tires soon, and I wonder if I should stay with a wider tire?  I live, ride, and race in Florida, a lot of sandy trials and roots, but also a lot of steep rocky hills, and some mud, and some slick cow-fields.  I do not ride MX, and I am not a big jumper.

So, what would I notice with a narrower tire (like a 100/100-18 for instance)?  I assume I would need to run higher pressure to prevent flats? 

Wider rear has better strait line traction but robs power and will be harder to turn.  Narrow rear tire will have less forward traction, but will rob less power and have better turn in.

130 is pretty darn wide, 100 is too narrow.  A 120 should be more than enough forward traction for your bike and improve turn in.  Most run 110, especially on smaller displacement.  I have 110 on my YZ250 and Husky 310.  I know some of the 450's are running 120's.

Edited by 95jersey
  • Like 2

I've run 110 and 120 on my 450. For tight single tack the 110 is much easier to turn. To be honest both have great grip depending on the tire. I'm running a 110 AT 81 right now and they're awesome everywhere.