Sign in to follow this  

Do You Drill Weep/Drain Holes In Your Swingarm?

Yesterday I was mounting my rear wheel and thought I should go ahead and pull the chain adjusters out of the swingarm and coat them in anti-seize. Well, it took a while to get them out and when they finally came away from the swing-arm I had about 1/2 gallon of water come out of the threaded hole on both sides!

Now I'm thinking I need to drill a small hole in the underside of the swing-arm, just underneath where the chain adjuster bolt passes through, to allow this water to come out. The water was crystal clear-not dirty-which leads me to believe it is getting in there when I wash the bike.

Just wondering if anyone else has drilled their swing arm. I read about this on another forum years ago, and now realize why they do it.

Edited by Kawabuggy

I personally would go the other way, try to make it completely sealed off. if there is a hole, sand and mud will get inside. with well greased bolts it should be no problems.

I took the chain slider off my 450 the other day, and there was pressure inside the swing arm. guess it was colder when a screw was removed last time...

I hear what you are saying but I think finding and eliminating all holes in the swing arm would be a monumental task. I'll drill the holes for peace of mind that nothing will get stuck in there.

I agree with buggy and would still grease/anti-seize the bolt. I have one stuck now, didn't totally remove it for greasing and now the inner tip is apparently corroded. Toopid me.