Sign in to follow this  

Tommy Russell's XR's Only?

Hello everybody!

I'm new to the forum, and new to the thumpers, although I did own a XL 500 back in the day:) I now own a 2014 XRL. Of course i want to modify it hence my question! I was ready to order a oil temp gauge and a xrr front sprocket, since xr's only was the only temp gauge I could find, I was going to order from them. Then I saw a lot of negative reviews on them! I emailed them with the question about these reviews and if these parts were in stock . I got kinda a smart response from them back, that said: the reviews are very old and that their website shows whether r not the parts r in stock! But some of the reviews say that they always show the parts being in stock, until you order them, then they send you a email that says that the parts r back ordered , of course then they already have your money! So my question is, has anybody did any business with them recently ?

Thanks!

Hello everybody!

I'm new to the forum, and new to the thumpers, although I did own a XL 500 back in the day:) I now own a 2014 XRL. Of course i want to modify it hence my question! I was ready to order a oil temp gauge and a xrr front sprocket, since xr's only was the only temp gauge I could find, I was going to order from them. Then I saw a lot of negative reviews on them! I emailed them with the question about these reviews and if these parts were in stock . I got kinda a smart response from them back, that said: the reviews are very old and that their website shows whether r not the parts r in stock! But some of the reviews say that they always show the parts being in stock, until you order them, then they send you a email that says that the parts r back ordered , of course then they already have your money! So my question is, has anybody did any business with them recently ?

Thanks!

I have nothing negative to say about XR's Only.  The temperature dipstick did not last long for me (vibration killed it) but it appears that most folks like theirs and have not had any issues.  I would probably try ordering one again but I already have a Trailtech unit.  XR's Only performed my "big fin" mod and rebuilt my head, they did a great job and the price was reasonable.  They'll get the same head again when it is time for another top end.

Typically, you only hear the negative stuff, not the 99% who had positive experiences.

One of the best things to note about XR's Only is despite the necessity to diversify and cater to other models/brands (business survival), they are still able to take care of our XR's, which are certainly no longer "cutting edge"!

Got 10k on my xr's dip stick, no problems yet  !   go for it . 

Dave  :ride:

• Like 1

I ordered a ims 4 gallon tank from them without any problems. I would order from xr's only again. However, i was about to order their temperature gauge some time ago until i read the bad reviews on this site and decided not to.

Yea that's me, I think the quality of the parts will be ok, but getting the order is what's bothering me especially after the reviews! And some of the reviews are dated 2013! So what they said about the old reviews don't hold much water for me!

Only had one order, for a lowering link. It was for an XL600. I used the drill down feature on the site to make sure I ordered the correct part. It showed up with the bearings as paid for. But then the dust caps on my bike were smaller, so I ordered new from the dealership. Being much larger in diameter, they wouldn't fit in the linkage. I emailed them and never heard back but checking now, the part is off the XL600 section. Would have been nice to be able to return the part. I guess I could press the issue. I don't know. We'll see. I don't know that I'll order from them again, the trouble is the stuff that nobody else makes, like the temp gauge dipstick.

Al Baker's XR's only ( they don't list it as Tommy's ??)  is bad  IMHO and I had to get Paypal involved to get My promised money back on Items I was told to return for a refund and exchange ( less than a year ago )

the POS Temperature gauge/ dipstick  was one  the chainguide was the other

the T guage was locked up and you couldn't "clock it "  they knew they were screwed up  and said they would send another just send that one back  the other item was never going to work properly  the chain guide,  I gave them a lot of pics and drawings and let them know what was wrong  they were to refund that $$ 

come day 44 since purchase and after numerous warnings  to them email and phone ( thanks Tommy )   I filed a Dispute on the last possible day Paypal would cover me  and received my $$ back without need to escalate

funny thing a  month ago I get a UPS shipment notification and it was from XR"s only??   I thought maybe they were going to ask Me to check the chainguard fitment or maybe felt bad and were sending Me the dipstick I was promised originally   but i received another UPS notification a day later  " shipper requested package back "  LOL I almost got free stuff

i know have the best digital t stat  ( Spud)  I drilled a tiny hole in the OEM dipstick  and inserted the Harbor freight digital unit for 5 bucks

Edited by Zimman

Al Baker's XR's only ( they don't list it as Tommy's ??)

The email I received says Tommy's Russell XR's only. Maybe someone else has taken it over and trying to clean up the reputation ? I may order the dip stick and sprocket just to see if things have changed! But hey, Thanks everybody for the replies!

I will let y'all know what happens:)

I think that it's the same crew that has been there since Al died

Tommy is the one who hosed Me with empty promises

look at the email mine said Tommy Russel-XR's only    not Tommy Russel's Xr's only

"Tommy Russell - XRs Only" <tommy@xrsonly.com>

Tommy Russell | RIDER SUPPORT PROFESSIONAL

============================
XR'S ONLY - Parts Service Performance
Edited by Zimman

I've ordered from them a handful of times.  The only negative that I can say is that back ordered parts can take a long time to come in.  This was the case ~10 years ago when I ordered Eibach springs for my XR650L and this past winter for my XR600.  I don't think I was able to find those parts from RaceTech or Factory Connection.

I put a billet choke plate in my XR600 from them and that came promptly. 

Hello everybody!

Thanks!

order it from TT..no problems.

if you order that temp gauge i would seal the lens to the housing  

to many water intrusion complaints for Me

had mine not been screwed up from the get go I was ready to seal mine just be careful since the lens is plastic

I was going to use a latex silicon clear caulking   ( painters caulk)   i was just going to use a dab and get it around the perimeter then wipe the lens from the center to the edge to clean it

Edited by Zimman