Sign in to follow this  

for anyone that has powdercoated their frame..

I am about to strip my bike down to the frame and PC it and was wondering if you guys who PC'd their frames left the dreaded T piece in there or removed it. From what I hear it sounds like a PITA to get out and have heard some install it back only to have it leak. Was wondering if I took off the rubber gromets left just the alluminum tube in there if I could go ahead and get it powdercaoted. What do you guys think?

Took the T out. Heard the same thing about it leaking so I took it to my shop to have them put the new one in. It takes a special tool I guess

I have done three frames and always removed the T completely.  It is really difficult to remove it and I placed a bolt head inside with a stop nut on the threads to remove it but, that has only worked on a brand new bike, never run.  Once the hot coolant runs through there it seals everything up real well and the pipe is too soft to stand up to the required torque.  Embarassed to say this but, the truth is, I just got a real good grip on the bottom end of the T with vice grips and turned it a 1/2 turn at a time to unthread it.  It destroys the bottom end of the T but, its quick, save a lot of stress and the new T tube is only $15.  It also comes with a sealant on the threads so when you install it, it will not leak like the guys who have re-used their original have experienced.  I even have an extra tube new in the plastic if you cant get one locally from your dealer fast enough, just PM me.  Good luck and the end result will be much better if you take the time to do this.

Also, if you dont know, MAKE SURE THE TAPE THE VIN UP FOR BLASTING AND BAKING.  That is etched in rediculously light and if you dont take steps to protect it, it wont be there when you pick it up.  See another post about this very thing just today in this same TT KTM 2 stroke forum.

• Like 1

I'm getting ready to PC my frame and swing arm as well. After reading about all the issues other guys have had with the stock POS T piece. I think I'm going to skip out on that head ache and get the Samco Sport T piece to replace it with. It looks pretty painless to instal and they say it will help your bike run cooler. Here is a YouTube video on it. Hopefully this link works... <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/xsAy59Q_E3g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm getting ready to PC my frame and swing arm as well. After reading about all the issues other guys have had with the stock POS T piece. I think I'm going to skip out on that head ache and get the Samco Sport T piece to replace it with. It looks pretty painless to instal and they say it will help your bike run cooler. Here is a YouTube video on it. Hopefully this link works... <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/xsAy59Q_E3g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Be careful on that Samco hose T piece too.  I tried that on the first frame I did; a 2013 450SXF and it does not fit because KTM added an additional frame gusset inside the down tube to add stiffness.  It drove me nuts for 2 weeks trying on and off to get this in place.  Ultimately, I got Slaven involves who got Samco involved in Europe and Samco did not even know this.  My issues prompted them to buy a 2013 frame and cut it open and they learned about this gusset blocking their T design.  THey refunded my $ and sent me a radiator hose kit as a gift/apology.  Good guys and a great product but it does not fit the 13 and newer SXF frame for sure.  I know this is a two stroke forum but KTM may have also made this change to the SX frames.  After the hassle, I just went to the new pipe for the lower downtube part of the T as an OEM part.  It really was not difficult at all, just dont even fuss with trying to save the original downtube pipe, its less than $20 and seals up fine.

• Like 3

I used the tool and it was so tight it twisted and chiped the end of the t piece under the rubber grommet .....I did not see the chip untill I ran the bike ......leak!!!

I then thought it was leaking at the threads ....had it out about 3 times before I saw the chip....not fun!

I got the samco T hose from Parts unl. ....Moose.

if i use the Samco piece, can I still fit the samco hose through the stock  rubber grommets on the sides of the frame? Seen a youtube video from samco and they did not use them. Seems like a bad idea all kinds of dirt can get by through that gap around the hose

Be careful on that Samco hose T piece too.  I tried that on the first frame I did; a 2013 450SXF and it does not fit because KTM added an additional frame gusset inside the down tube to add stiffness.  It drove me nuts for 2 weeks trying on and off to get this in place.  Ultimately, I got Slaven involves who got Samco involved in Europe and Samco did not even know this.  My issues prompted them to buy a 2013 frame and cut it open and they learned about this gusset blocking their T design.  THey refunded my $ and sent me a radiator hose kit as a gift/apology.  Good guys and a great product but it does not fit the 13 and newer SXF frame for sure.  I know this is a two stroke forum but KTM may have also made this change to the SX frames.  After the hassle, I just went to the new pipe for the lower downtube part of the T as an OEM part.  It really was not difficult at all, just dont even fuss with trying to save the original downtube pipe, its less than $20 and seals up fine.

Wow! That's good to know. Thank you! With that being said I'll probably just order a new down tube and stick with the stock set up like you said. Too bad, I was looking forward to that extra little bit of cooling they said it would provide..

if i use the Samco piece, can I still fit the samco hose through the stock  rubber grommets on the sides of the frame? Seen a youtube video from samco and they did not use them. Seems like a bad idea all kinds of dirt can get by through that gap around the hose

I was curious about this as well. Im with you, the big gap in the frame between the hoses does seem right to me either. I just came across a tread on VitalMX about this.  They said you can use the stock grommets with a little modification. They also confirmed that the Samco hose will work with the 13' SX's (XC's), but will not work with the SXF'.http://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Race-Shop,42/Samco-T-Piece-2013-250SX-and-350SXF,1262149

I'm getting ready to PC my frame and swing arm as well. After reading about all the issues other guys have had with the stock POS T piece. I think I'm going to skip out on that head ache and get the Samco Sport T piece to replace it with. It looks pretty painless to instal and they say it will help your bike run cooler. Here is a YouTube video on it. Hopefully this link works...

Don't powdercoat your swingarm. Aluminum weakens when heated to that point and I have the broken part to prove it. MTB guys learned this long ago, probably because bikes are much closer to the edge if their strength limit anyways since weight is such a concern.

• Like 1

Don't powdercoat your swingarm. Aluminum weakens when heated to that point and I have the broken part to prove it. MTB guys learned this long ago, probably because bikes are much closer to the edge if their strength limit anyways since weight is such a concern.

I've PC the frame and swing arm on two other bikes of mine. I haven't had any strength issues with either one of them so far. Both Hondas with aluminum frames and swing arms. Maybe I'm not riding them hard enough? LOL!

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1401575129.751414.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1401575152.400381.jpg