Sign in to follow this  

2003 cr125 idle help

hi guys i purchased an 2003 CR125 today and when i purchased the bike i was told it had low compression and needed a new piston, so anyway i went ahead and installed the piston starts up fine, but the bike still has very very low compression, and idles very high - i have tried to turn the idle screw but it doesn't make any difference, ive tried to put it into gear and take off and it dies each and every time, does anyone have an idea of what this could be? thanks

you could of installed the ring/s upside down. that will cause low compression, 

The idle problem could be an air leak somewhere, or a plugged pilot jet.  But I'm leaning towards an air leak.  Do a leak down test if you can. 

you could of installed the ring/s upside down. that will cause low compression, 

The idle problem could be an air leak somewhere, or a plugged pilot jet.  But I'm leaning towards an air leak.  Do a leak down test if you can. 

sorry but whats a leak down test? i called my local mechanic and he told me to spray WD40 around the bood of the carb and see if slows down but i tried this and it doesnt work (if that part of the test) or isit more of an compression test? he also said it could be a crank seal gone?