Sign in to follow this  

new 2011 kx100 or new 2014 $1100 price difference

My son races 85 and supermini class and he's at the point he can ride a true supermini but he is still not close to maxing out the kx85 given his ability level.

They have a new 2014 and a leftover 2011. They made some big changes in the 2014 after many years of no changes.  The 2014 will be about a $1,100 more after I consider the difference in price, more dealer fees on newer model, and some tax impact on the more expensive bike.

Save a grand or spend the money to get the newer model with some nicer features and more power? Is it worth 30% more? 

He plans to continue to race and this year he's been racing more and improving but it will probably be another year or two before he would appreciate the extra power of the 2014 over the 2011.  

Well, personally if I don't see the point in buying a new old model kx100.  I would simply buy a well maintained used one if I wanted the old model.  If I were to buy new then I would get the 2014. 

• Like 1

Well, personally if I don't see the point in buying a new old model kx100.  I would simply buy a well maintained used one if I wanted the old model.  If I were to buy new then I would get the 2014. 

That's part of the problem.  Not a lot of kx100's around that aren't really old or some supermini kid, while probably well maintained, has beaten the crap out of it.  I need to find a light used bike that mom puttered around on.